25 fps

millar

• 3 weeks later...

Happens in America, too. We get wacky producers who go back and forth between 29.97 and 23.98. Drives me crazy. Half the time, nobody knows until the day of the shoot!

One of my new favorite lines to use at start of day is 'Are you shooting 23.98 or are you going for the 90's soap opera look and shooting 29.97?'

I was in college when the SD/HD conversion was happening and I remember thinking how much better the brits and MOST of the rest of the world had it with 25 being standard. HD was supposed be 24 and solve the decimal problems and then BOOM!!!!! they stick us with 23.976! Yay!

Press junkets are the most fun.. Every country's media bringing their own hairbrained framerates, and only 7 seconds turnaround to change settings and re-jam all cameras, and in 30 seconds you do it all over again, for The Republic of Congolian TV at 21.49 

How do you ameercans deal with HMI's having only 50Hz, 60Hz and flicker free? Does it mean you just have to have them on the flicker free setting when not shooting 25 or 30 fps?

For pal shoots are there any other frame rates to consider besides 25? With NTSC there are at least 4 that I can think of that are common (30, 29.97, 24, 23.98) and used for various reasons. Thanks

No there's no scope to tie ourselves in knots and make our brains explode with TC in PAL.

Press junkets are the most fun.. Every country's media bringing their own hairbrained framerates, and only 7 seconds turnaround to change settings and re-jam all cameras, and in 30 seconds you do it all over again, for The Republic of Congolian TV at 21.49

How do you ameercans deal with HMI's having only 50Hz, 60Hz and flicker free? Does it mean you just have to have them on the flicker free setting when not shooting 25 or 30 fps?

These days, on Red shoots at least, I get told more and more often that HMIs need to be on flicker free, because of HDR. Yet one more reason to love the RED

For pal shoots are there any other frame rates to consider besides 25? With NTSC there are at least 4 that I can think of that are common (30, 29.97, 24, 23.98) and used for various reasons. Thanks

PAL is always 25fps, but bear in mind that 24fps is standard all over the world, including PAL countries. When a US production would shoot 24fps (e.g. for cinema release), so too would a UK production.

There are some low-budget productions that choose to shoot at 24fps for shorts, virals, corporates and other straight-to-web videos, in the belief that it makes their video look more "filmic" (true enough when you're talking about 23.976 v. 29.97; less so when it's 24 v 25). You have to watch out for this in a PAL country because some prosumer cameras such as 5DMk2's say "24fps" but mean 23.976fps (even on the PAL model), and such productions are inevitably unaware of this.

Whether flicker free is required is as dependent on shutter speed as it is on frame rate, i.e. the frame rate doesn't matter as long as the shutter speed is 1/50th (UK) or 1/60th (USA) or some multiple thereof. We (UK) shoot both 25fps and 24fps at 1/50th in the normal scheme of things, so no flicker to worry about, and I imagine that's the same with 1/60th in the States. This doesn't however stop every ballast on every set being turned to flicker free until you request otherwise!