Anyone collect 16mm films?

Doug Brandon

Hello friends,

I have a hobby of collecting 16mm films. Mostly disney, children's classics, cinemascope etc.  I have a few different projectors both here and at my parents house. It is great fun to observe an audience of kids laughing. At the last showing, in December, we had around 30 kids and twelve adult volunteers while the kids parents went holliday shoping (kind of a free community babysitting service). We watched pinochio and aladin as the features, and many shorts in-between. Popcorn, lunch, cookie decorating, games etc.

Film is not dead yet!

Doug

I just heard that several locations around here are in the process of installing the digital projectors that will soon replace 35mm film projection all together.

I know what you mean Ron, The end does seem to be near for film, especially in theatre. I'm on another forum where they discuss film collecting. I recently learned some labs may still have the capabilities to make 16mm prints of new releases, although I don't think there are any rentals houses purchasing them. Meant for other parts of the world I guess.

My friend in Portland just bought a theatre (he has been renting the space for the last decade or so) and they are installing ONLY digital projection. He has been assisting other theatres in the area now installing digital with new 3D technology.

Doug