Venue Antenna Output

RPSharman

Was just curious if anyone uses the antenna outputs on the Venue for their TV tuner.  I know these outputs are supposed to be "tuned" for the specific block (21-22 for me), but does it make that much difference for Modulus/Canatrans reception.  Will it affect my wireless mic reception?  Don't want to try it out and then mess up something inside the Venue.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Robert,

Unless you have any voltage coming out of the antenna input of your TV tuner, the Venue really wont care if it is connected or not. Your reception will be another story altogether. There is an RF filter between the BNC input and the BNC output connectors. The bandwidth of this filter is pretty tight and drops off rapidly at the top and bottom end of the blocks that the Venue is tuned to (in your case Bk's 21/22). The signal that you will see at the output BNC has already been through this front end and in theory the bandwidth should be only 50MHz wide. There is also a buffer amp in this circuit so the signal should be approx the same as the input, -0db to 2db.

If the frequency that the TV tuner is looking for is looking for is in that 50MHz bandwidth, you should be able to see something. The quality of that signal would be very questionable. The first thing would be that you will most likely be using 50 ohm coaxial cable. Video signals are not real fond of that. Video likes to see 75 ohms. The next thing is that the circuit between the input and output BNC connectors was most likely not designed for video signals and there may be some degrading of the signal at the output. And lastly, if the frequency is not coordinated properly with the wireless frequencies that are being used, you may be looking at having some type of interference troubles, shortened ranges, noise, dropouts, etc..........

Have said all of that, I have seen some sound mixers use their wireless equipment in ways that, because of circuit design and theory, should not be working. But, it does.

David W White

D.W. Sound Service

www.dwsoundservice.com