here are some pics of my recently arrived tascam
Testing phantom power and pre amp.
8JhbXDnl.jpg
sAAWuKll.jpg
diN0od3l.jpg
61qOhw3l.jpg
Vccth8Kl.jpg

things to note:
the xlr inputs are extremely strong--not TOO difficult but force is required after pushing the clip down to pull the XLR off

Using an NTG3 +48v on the tascam with 4x fresh eneloop 2000mah at 24 bit, 48k i had about 3 hours and ~5 minutes before it died.

I have a sampling between the mix pre d into the recorder and without it if you guys want to listen, though there is a computer in the background and its pretty rough. Still it does paint a pretty clear indication of the tascam's preamp vs the  Mix PD

the xlr inputs are extremely strong--not TOO difficult but force is required after pushing the clip down to pull the XLR off

In testing, we found it varies with the cable/connector brand.  Multiple insertions should loosen it up. One handed removal (pulling the XLR and pushing the clip at the same time) may give it an awkward angle and more friction, so experiment a bit to find a good technique for your setup.

What brand of XLR connector is on your cables?

Tom (TASCAM)