Marantz PMD620

JDirckze

I've been thinking of a portable 2 track recorder for some time now and the PMD620 seems to be calling out to me. The things I am attracted to are:

The price - Much cheaper than a SD 702T or 744T. At the moment, none of the jobs I am working on require me to have a recorder with a timecode option. In fact, none of the shows I work on use double system at all. The only reason I would ever record double system is if I were going to the camera wireless, and even then it would be for my own benefit and confidence. Even still, I am "tethered" on most gigs.

The size - Much smaller, lighter etc than the offerings from SD. This appeals to me as I can have it in the bag without adding too much bulk or weight.

I'm thinking of buying an MS shotgun mic, perhaps the Audio Technica offering. I'm not required to gather atmos or soundscapes on any of the shows I work on, but I often find myself in very interesting places around the world and would love to head off during down time to record whatever took my fancy. I have a close relationship with the guys that do all the post for the shows I work on and I'm sure they would appreciate me adding to their sound library. I'd use this through my PSC Alphamix...

This has turned into a long winded post, so I'll ask the question. Does anyone have any reasons why this would be a bad purchase? I've never heard this unit and don't think I can get one to have a trial use with.

Is this recorder suitable for use as a double system recorder, knowing that it won't be TC referenced, but could save my ass at some point.

Anyway, thanks for any help and insight!

Jason

From my googling it seems the PMD620 does not have XLR connectors but only minijacks?

Anyhow, I started out with a PMD660 (which does have XLR connectors) a couple of years ago, then got a Fostex FR2 and now find myself with a 702T as my primary (and only) recorder. The 7 series don't come cheap, but it is serious quality and ergonmically superior (IMO) to my previous solid state recorders. It's the recorder I should've bought in the first place! (but couldn't afford to).

It's really true ... if you don't get what you need first time, you end up buying it again ;-)

I purchased a PMD620 a couple of months ago to use as a transcription recorder.  It has worked fine in that function.  The mini-jacks are only a disadvantage if you don't have a  mixer or other recorder that will be placed close to the PMD620.  A short 1 ft. 3.5mm male to male cable works nice to hook the machine to the tape output of a mixer or my 744T which is used as the primary recorder. 

The quality of the recording is great using the line inputs and I think that if I had to substitute a track from the 620 Fed from the 744t for one recorded directly on the 744t you would be hard pressed to tell the difference (other than no Time Code and  missing metadata).  So it could serve as a backup that could save your butt if things go wrong with the primary recorder. 

The unit is built well and uses 2 standard AA batteries for power. The only technical issue I discovered is that the WAV files it records are not quite RIFF compliant.  You will probably never notice this because they will probably playback fine on most software and plays fine on itself.  However if you try to modify these files in other software down the production chain you could run into problems. (The file size stored in the RIFF header is off by 8 bytes).

This can cause problems with software that adds more audio or metadata to the file or drops markers in it.

I have notified D&M professional (the manufacturers) and they have said they will look into it.  So it may be fixed in the next version of the firmware.  (They are shipping with firmware 1.0) I don't know if the firmware can be updated by the user as there are no instructions in the manual or in the menu's on how to do this.

One advantage of the PMD620 is it's Organic LED display.  It will work in more temperature extremes than LCD displays. So if you are going on an arctic expedition it could be a handy lightweight backup machine. (No moving parts to freeze up) And the built in mics are good enough to conduct interviews or record ambiance tracks. Although wind protection is not provided.

----Courtney

I've been using a Marantz 620 for several months. It functions just fine as a tiny recorder, so long as you feed it a line-level signal. Its mic preamps are mediocre, especially if your ears are accustomed to top-level gear. There is an A-to-D delay in the headphone feed during recording, the headphone level is very low (and noisy), and the battery door seems very flimsy.

On the plus side - it's cheap, it seems very well built, it's virtually immune to nearfield RF from cellphones, and it has a variety of useful MP3 bitrates for transcription.

You may also want to look at the new Olympus LS-10. It's a much better-built recorder with many additional features and a bit-better sounding mic pre (though not by much), a superior display, and a better level-control interface. I just reviewed a pre-production model for www.sportsshooter.com.

The newest Marantz PMD-660 recorders (with the most updated software) sound better than either of these micro-recorders, and if SD-type quality is needed, buy one from Oade with modified preamps. The 660 is a real workhorse, and it's inexpensive enough not to worry about beating it up.

I imagine the ZFR has better audio specs.

I wish someone would build a Lectro-style XLR plug-on device that was a fully-functional recorder -- one that could plug on to any mic, supply real 48v, had level controls, etc. The HHB flashmic is close, but not quite.

-- Eric

It's really true ... if you don't get what you need first time, you end up buying it again ;-)

I know what you mean...

What I really want is a 702T and a Schoeps MS pair, but what I can afford now is the PMD620 and an Audio Technica. Someday I will get the good stuff, when I can afford it, but I still have that craving to have something now. I'm about to go to Botswana and really want to get out and record some interesting sounds and music when we're not shooting.

Which AT mic are you looking at?  If it's the higher end ones, they would suffice.  If it's something like the 835, you can do much better.  I'd choose a used Sennheiser ME80 or ME66 over the lower end AT shotguns any day of the week.  If it's an ME80 (my preference of the two), find one that has the letters SENNHEISER in outline (not solid); they sound better.

If your mic budget is below $300, and you only want to buy new, check out the Rode short shotguns.

BTW, I've been quite happy with my Edirol R-09 as a small (and extremely light) backup recorder.

.02 FWIW

JB

I was initially looking at the AT835-ST MS shotgun mic... I think it retails over here in Australia for around USD$900 or so. What attracted me to the 'shotgun' style MS mic is that I could use it with my existing Rycote modular or softie.

I'll check out the Edirol R-09, thanks!

The PMD620 is on it's way!

Thanks again for the advice and feedback

Update: First tests through the Alphamix - Line level from the Aux outputs 1/8" to 1/8" to the PMD620 sounded great. The shoot was a straight forward green screen interview for a National Geographic series. Audio calibration was a bit strange, levels at 0dB from the mixer to -20 on the PMD620 seemed lower than the levels to the camera (F900). As a backup recorder for when I am using wireless links I think this will do the job, regardless of the lack of TC, it is more for my own piece of mind.

Off for 3 weeks in Botswana on Tuesday for a Discovery Travel gig so I'll get to see how it holds up in some hot temperatures and testing environments. Love the size and weight of this thing.