Adobe To Go Subscription Only

nwstudios

The cloud won't upgrade you without your consent. You can keep running the same version you want to run. Additionally, past versions (or at least all versions released since you first subscribed) are simultaneously available and I think can be simultaneously installed on your computers. I think that's right; I've heard a couple takes on this. Here's what the current CC FAQ says:

"Creative Cloud paid members have access to a select set of archived versions of the desktop apps. Starting with CS6, select older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download. Archived versions are provided "as is" and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms."

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#desktop-products

That just goes to show you the importance of options. I MUCH prefer iLok over machine footprint verification, and have found it a breeze to use once I was familiar with it. And we have a sizeable number of plugins.

I don't use a single plugin that uses ilok, myself.

I certainly understand the other point-of-view.

For me, I find that it's a major hassle re-verifying a host of programs and plugins if I change something on the machine that alters the "footprint" used for verification. 

It just proves that one size does not fit all.

Several versions of Media Composer ago, Avid announced that they were doing away with USB dongles.  The blowback was so resounding that they've (so far) kept both methods.

Recently a substantial part of the post world underwent a very large migration from FCP to CS6 because apple did something that many were unhappy with.

Maybe adobe feels they need to follow apple's example. I look forward to finding out who is waiting in the wings to scavenge the customer base.

Well... doesn't Pro Tools itself require an iLok?

I don't have a problem with the iLok, since at least this way, the mix is "transportable" between studios, if problems arise. 

Along with that you can have it on more than one machine (studio and location laptop, for instance), and LEGALLY switch between the two.