DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

Thank you!

This 24€ price is inclusive of the German VAT (19%). The Soundequpment is always expensive in Germany, a Neutrik gold 3-pin XLR which I use cost 4€ and it takes ca 1h per piece to produce a connector at the moment. The business rival in Germany is rare and more expensive than me.

The strain relief is the 2K glue. The viscosity is high ca. 20.000 - 25.000 mPa·s thats important. The glue can't escape so fast. Rean is still using the foam rubber. I like the Rean TAs because of the bigger latch and the surface feel.

On December 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM, OPS said:

The strain relief is the 2K glue. The viscosity is high ca. 20.000 - 25.000 mPa·s thats important. The glue can't escape so fast. Rean is still using the foam rubber. I like the Rean TAs because of the bigger latch and the surface feel.

OPS, I need some right-angles made. Willing to chat?

51 minutes ago, Jeremiah Sheets said:

OPS, I need some right-angles made. Willing to chat?

I would buy some untreminated connectors as well - but from earlier posts it appears each connector would be fairly expensive.

OPS I'm not saying you should but if you have the option of getting them produced in quantity the price per piece could drop. If the price would be reasonable I would certainly take 12 ta5, and 12 female and 12 male xlrs. 

If you did they would be the nicest commercially available right angle connectors.

hello jeremiah,

you can send me an email to info@ops-shop.de and we can speak about the conditions and you can order and pay on my website.

at the moment you will miss the ta-connectors on my website. www.ops-shop.de

sorry, at the moment it´s only in german language.

if you know other people, who would like to have some of my items it would be better for you, cause the shipping costs to america is much expensive.

hello jack,

it sounds nice. maybe we can make a deal. first i have to find the right cable for the TA-5. normally i use mogami-cable, but i didn´t find the right one and have to order it.

please send me an email to info@ops-shop.de and we can speak about the conditions and later you can order and pay on my website.

11 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

if you have the option of getting them produced in quantity the price per piece could drop.

was thinking the same thing, but then as long as there's any hand soldering and assembly in a western country it will be very difficult to get significantly lower then 20EUR + tax.

would be an opportunity for a chinese company or a kickstarted project though: quality right angle XLR and TA3 for 10EUR per piece and maybe 7EUR for a pre-cut empty plug with cap?

chris

I have no need for these low profile XLRs in my workflow, but I have just sent an email to Neutrik with a link to this thread suggesting that they should consider making their own versions as there is obviously a market. If everyone did the same maybe they could be persuaded. We seem to have some influence on the manufacturers of other equipment we use!

I know that we aren't the only users of XLRs but there would seem to be enough of us

1 hour ago, Simon Hayter said:

I have no need for these low profile XLRs in my workflow, but I have just sent an email to Neutrik with a link to this thread suggesting that they should consider making their own versions as there is obviously a market. If everyone did the same maybe they could be persuaded. We seem to have some influence on the manufacturers of other equipment we use!

I know that we aren't the only users of XLRs but there would seem to be enough of us

Its funny that you say this..

I have a conversation with Neutrik recently. They made it abundantly clear that they don't ever plan on making something like this nor do they plan on making modified versions of what they already sell.. The response was pretty arrogant to the point that they did not understand why someone would want to modify their "perfect product".

i kinda fail to see the irony here, i expect they have run the numbers a long time ago and decided that it's not worth the logistics to design, manufacture and distribute a new connecter for the 300 sound mixers that might be interested in them (and they are a picky bunch, like: "i'd like a version where the cable exits at the 3o'clock position, and one with red caps").

their main market is probably the music world where the numbers are like 100times higher.

that said, me too i hope for somebody to pick up the ball and make some  ; )

If I had the facility and time, I would do it here in the states. OPS design and work is awesome! I kind of envisioned doing something like that in the past, but I'm really not THAT talented. I was working on a "new" way to do them but didn't turn out the way I wanted so I will be sticking with the formula and work flow that has made a lot of people happy with my cables. 

As far as Neutrik is concerned...we are a drop in the bucket when it comes to their use...Think about how many un-modified connectors you have just in your kit compared to the customs you might have...Think about all the production trucks, stadiums, music halls, live sound companies etc...thats what dominates their business model.

23 hours ago, chrismedr said:

would be an opportunity for a chinese company or a kickstarted project though: quality right angle XLR and TA3 for 10EUR per piece and maybe 7EUR for a pre-cut empty plug with cap?

I am willing to explore the possibilities of doing this in India. However, I will need to know what is the quantum... 

23 hours ago, chrismedr said:

17 hours ago, mradlauer said:

Think about all the production trucks, stadiums, music halls, live sound companies etc...thats what dominates their business model.

Yes, and for such usage I don't think they bother with either the weight or size of the connector. 

1 hour ago, soundtrane said:

I am willing to explore the possibilities of doing this in India. However, I will need to know what is the quantum... 

let's say there's an empty, pre cut, ready to solder kit (i.e. shortened connector, hole, strain relief, possibly glue) for 7EUR

or an assembled connector with flying lead for 10EUR.

i would definitely take 5 XLR male and female and 5 TA3 male and female.

i guess there are at least 20 people here who'd do the same, so an initial run of 100 connectors for each would probably sell very quickly. if it can be done significantly cheaper on high volumes i would take twice that, but since the neutrik base connector is already close to 3EUR that's probably tricky.

chris

so an initial run of 100 connectors for each would probably sell very quickly.

100 is not a high run. Don't even think about anything under 1000 pieces

I like the raw Remote Audio connectors --- makes it easy to make your own cable assemblies. Pricing is reasonable also. 

And the cable orientation can be changed easily at any time. And they are serviceable. That's excellent