DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

On December 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Simon Hayter said:

Well, you were right Matt.

I got a reply from Neutrik basically saying 'not a chance' !

Not very helpful.

Those Remote Audio ones look good though

Ha! Actually I find that pretty helpful. It's good to know that you definitely should look elsewhere. ;)

On 12/26/2015 at 11:32 AM, Gene Martin said:

We currently don't have them up on the Sound Guys Solutions website, but here are a few pics that I have on me at the moment. Still working on getting colored inserts manufactured, but we've done some custom laser engraved options as well. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

These look great Gene!

1 hour ago, berniebeaudry said:

How do you order them and is there a TA3 available.  Thinking for my Lectro LR receivers.

They look great!

I got my TA5 connectors from the Audio Department directly.

The Sound Guy Solution connectors use the standard switchcraft pin base (not sure if that is the offical name). 

So if you bought the connector and just used the metal shell and and end cap without the 5 pin base - depending on the cable used - you can get away without even re-soldering the cable.

All you would need to do is just open your current TA3, remove the metal strain relief and discard it. Then physical cut off the switchcraft plastic boot - you can probably just squeeze the boot with a plier and it would just crack off.

Then the TA3 pin base and little plastic ring that is already soldered would just slide into the SGS metal shell and put on end cap and you are done.

2 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

I got my TA5 connectors from the Audio Department directly.

The Sound Guy Solution connectors use the standard switchcraft pin base (not sure if that is the offical name). 

So if you bought the connector and just used the metal shell and and end cap without the 5 pin base - depending on the cable used - you can get away without even re-soldering the cable.

All you would need to do is just open your current TA3, remove the metal strain relief and discard it. Then physical cut off the switchcraft plastic boot - you can probably just squeeze the boot with a plier and it would just crack off.

Then the TA3 pin base and little plastic ring that is already soldered would just slide into the SGS metal shell and put on end cap and you are done.

Thanks Jack!

I'll need to convert to a smaller cable anyway.  The Lectro LRs came with cables but they're made of the larger diameter cable.

16 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

I've been using the mogami 2967 reciently and I can easiely fit a pair of thr 2967 into the connector.

Good to know.  I just looked at the cables I have and they're not as heavy as I was thinking.  They're Belden 9397 miniature flexible mic cable.  The existing connector is Switchcraft so that's a plus too.  I just looked at the diameters and the 2967 is 2.5mm in diameter and the 9397 is 4.47mm.  Do you still think the right angle cap will work with my existing cable?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎26 at 11:32 AM, Gene Martin said:

We currently don't have them up on the Sound Guys Solutions website, but here are a few pics that I have on me at the moment. Still working on getting colored inserts manufactured, but we've done some custom laser engraved options as well. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Would that be possible to get the price for these caps ? Can't find any info about that unfortunately