DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

Here's my first attempts at making these.

Has anyone else used these plastic caps for strain relief? It looks like SeeKai might be using these in but reversed.

Using the cap with the 'nipple' outside the connector gives the heat shrink something to grab onto while allowing the fully jacketed cable to pass through. I'd love any feedback on better methods or reason for not doing this.

I'd love to take the heat shrink into the connector, but would have to strip back the cable jacket which I feel is a better protector so would like to keep as much of it as possible.

IMAG0183.thumb.jpg.4f871562d3d1d934745c7IMAG0160.thumb.jpg.61151eac25940fc6e02d5IMAG0181.thumb.jpg.710e2e989501ddf37658a 

• 1 month later...

Here's my first attempt. I used pennies from foreign change i had laying at home and it's hot glued inside. I could have been a little more consistent in the positioning of the coin but well... First attempt eh!

Next step the 3 TA3 inputs, the 2 XLR outputs and the 2 TA3 outputs and i'll have a nice patch easily accessible in the front pocket of the bag.

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Working on right angle 1/4 Plug (TS) for my Sound Devices MM-1.

Canare L-2E5 with 3/16 drill size.

Slick! I bet, if you strain reliefed it with a ziptie or something, you could get away with even less shell, since the contacts don't run any farther than before the striped part, or you could just use:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/px-series/np3rx-b

Hi Karl,

I have the Neutrik right angle plug that you posted a link about. I wanted the cable to "clear" the battery tube and exit the side of the bag, so I wanted a tall connector shell. The standard Neutrik right angle plug would have to stick out towards the top of the SD MM-1 or the back once the microphone cable is in place. I agree the shell could be cut shorter if needed. Thanks for your comments.

Mark

On 12/2/2015, 7:47:16, OPS said:

It is high flexebile. I use it for my connboxes.

20151202_134130.jpg

Ta_ta-ta'ta.

Today I can present my version of TA-3 right angle.

I have to refine the style a little bit...

More pictures soon

TA-3 low profile.jpg

TA-3 right angle with low profile XLR.jpg

WHOA these are amazing. it pays to have the right tools! anything smaller would have to be bluetooth

On December 2, 2015 at 7:47 AM, OPS said:

It is high flexebile. I use it for my connboxes.

20151202_134130.jpg

Ta_ta-ta'ta.

Today I can present my version of TA-3 right angle.

I have to refine the style a little bit...

More pictures soon

TA-3 low profile.jpg

TA-3 right angle with low profile XLR.jpg

Sounds to me like you have the possibility of a new business or side business at least. Quality work. 

On 3.12.2015 at 9:03 PM, Toy Robot said:

Last Sunday my second child was born. That’s why I was to busy to answer.

I try to make a small business with this connectors but it cost a lot of time, so that I engineer only a few pieces of each than I sell it and so on. Nobody knows me and can't find my website. sometimes i sell this items on eBay, so I have a little bit more money in my pocket. My main profession is sound engineer and i love this.

I think for the American market it is to expensive. each connector cost ca. 24€ because of the small amount i make.