DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

11 hours ago, JackHenry said:

But that ring is a lot thicker than the Ambient device (I use them for colour coding). So wouldn't removing the ring leave it a bit 'floppy'.

re HBCC, if it's floppy after removing the (colour coding) ring add washer/s for desired effect.

If either of these XLR holders are not long enough to hold TX far enough away from the pole, would bending/twisting the metal a little not move the TX away from the pole?

10 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Not sure about bending or twisting it. Would just be nice if they gave a longer option. Plus if it's bent it won't look pretty anymore. 

Rycote makes an XLR holder that is a little longer than the ambient, and is a great length to mount a larger plugon tx like the Zaxcom TRX742.

26 minutes ago, Rachel Cameron said:

Nice, any color in the rainbow can be made. And what did you do to keep the epoxy from draining into the latch, if anything?

I use a small piece of foam to cover the area where the latch is. My connectors cannot be repaired because the connector shell is full of epoxy. I use 5 minute epoxy for the first layer which will cover the foam, but will not reach the top of the connector shell. Then I do the colored epoxy. I think slow drying epoxy would be better for this step because I get fine bubbles in the epoxy as it drys quickly.

I prefer to make up backup cable sets instead of making a field repairs. If you get adventurous you can "swirl-in" a second color.

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, alenK said:

Hello,

I am very interested in these low profile adaptations to XLR connectors. I am wondering if there have been any concerns caused by a lack of shielding at the rear of the connector shell?

Thank you.

No shielding issues at all with either the regular size XLR or the TA mini xlr's.

3 hours ago, Malcolm Davies Amps CAS said:

The 3D printed caps made by Eric  Kryglemans must be the way to go as they not only eliminate all the mixing of epoxy but allow you to have the cable exit at any clock orientation and also allow you to pull the xlr into its component parts to solder.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What types of miniature mic cables are people using for their right angles cable assemblies (particularly going into the TA5F connectors)? I guess the thinnest and most flexible the better. Canare L-2E5 seems to be popular but it looks like Mogami make a really thin version too (model number unknown). The colour braiding is really popular so I guess the 2.5mm cable would be the best OD if that is to be used. What say the collective?