jason porter

DIY- Right Angle XLRs

412 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sebastian said:

What types of miniature mic cables are people using for their right angles cable assemblies (particularly going into the TA5F connectors)? I guess the thinnest and most flexible the better. Canare L-2E5 seems to be popular but it looks like Mogami make a really thin version too (model number unknown). The colour braiding is really popular so I guess the 2.5mm cable would be the best OD if that is to be used. What say the collective?  

Mogami W3031 (braided copper shield) and Redco TGS-1

I get both for Redco Audio 

Mark

6 minutes ago, mark kirchner said:

Mogami W3031 (braided copper shield) and Redco TGS-1

I get both for Redco Audio 

Mark

Thanks Mark. I've found a UK supplier for the Mogami W2697 which is identical to the W3031 without the braided shield variation but would have preferred the W3031. I don't think I can get the Redco TGS-1 in UK.

I just finished my new prototype XLR right angle connector. The end cap is made of anodized aluminum (shielding aspect). The output is 360 ° selectable. The connector can be easily opened and repaired at any time. Currently I have the cap only in black.

low profile XLR right angle.jpg

I have created a small Assembly Instructions video with my mobile. https://youtu.be/3qlnrCjtbfU

New Low Profile XLR serviceable.jpg

I will not give the price until next week. More information and pictures can be found  here

2 hours ago, OPS said:

I will not give the price until next week. More information and pictures can be found  here

HA, but you got prices in your web link brother... 

This is very clever. I like the 'cable reel' design with the pin in the center of the cap. Seems the cable rotates about the central pin enough to do most jobs.

HA, but you got prices in your web link brother... 

Not for the new one.

Nice job Jason!  

For anyone interested Trew sells their own version of this connector for $25 CAD.  Also there are a few other companies making them, such as Cable Tecniques.  Making your own is much more fun tho!

On 5/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, OPS said:

I just finished my new prototype XLR right angle connector. The end cap is made of anodized aluminum (shielding aspect). The output is 360 ° selectable. The connector can be easily opened and repaired at any time. Currently I have the cap only in black.

low profile XLR right angle.jpg

I have created a small Assembly Instructions video with my mobile. https://youtu.be/3qlnrCjtbfU

New Low Profile XLR serviceable.jpg

abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc

Just received my order today.

Thank you Oliver, they are truly amazing. Look forward to making up some cables with them. 

Cheers Nate.

7 hours ago, Nate C said:

I am very pleased that you liked the connectors.

Please note that you do not to tighten the grub screws  when assembling. The threads are short and can over-turn with too much force.

So many good ideas on The Right Angle XLR here.

This would be my interpretation!

I've shown this pic in another topic, but I think it applies here as well.

IMG_7277.JPG