DIY- Right Angle XLRs

jason porter

My usual supplier doesn't stock the right angled BNC plugs so I rather stubbornly made my own.

I have a few folks using these in the field right now, hopefully the slightly smaller size will be agreeable.

S.

post-8149-0-58074400-1406980461_thumb.jp

My usual supplier doesn't stock the right angled BNC plugs so I rather stubbornly made my own.

I have a few folks using these in the field right now, hopefully the slightly smaller size will be agreeable.

S.

WOW i am blown away by these. Cant get any more compact. Those are some sexy bnc cables!

Ken

Sorry if i missed this on this thready already - but has anyone made a 5 pin alexa version of this right angle connector? Curious to know if out from the top left of the connector would still work like my other cables i have made.

Ken

eric was right 5 pin xlr. i believe someone on jw mentioned right angles getting in the way of mount rails. was looking to see if someone has made one like these low profile versions and had any issues with the cable getting in the way of something i am not seeing in camera images online, based on cable out direction. The way the jack on the camera looks recessed i cant tell if the cable might sit too low in the 1 oclock out position looking at the alexa connector. Havent come across one here but hints on an alexa shoot in the near future. I am hoping to get a chance to demo one at the camera department soon. Hoping to possibly build one ahead of time to test out.

Ken

I've made a 5pin XLR right angle for the ALEXA. Latch faces the front of the camera, cable comes out at 9 o'clock looking at the pins. Yes, that's right in line with one of the pins, but if you're using light enough gauge cable you can go around it pretty easily. Or, go 10 o'clock, between the pin and the shell tab thing, the cable will project forward (towards the lens) a little but will work well.

eric was right 5 pin xlr. i believe someone on jw mentioned right angles getting in the way of mount rails. was looking to see if someone has made one like these low profile versions and had any issues with the cable getting in the way of something i am not seeing in camera images online, based on cable out direction. The way the jack on the camera looks recessed i cant tell if the cable might sit too low in the 1 oclock out position looking at the alexa connector. Havent come across one here but hints on an alexa shoot in the near future. I am hoping to get a chance to demo one at the camera department soon. Hoping to possibly build one ahead of time to test out.

Ken

I'm sure you know that the Neutrik R/A XLR connectors can be rotated in the shell from 12 to 6 o'clock positions.

Eric

I'm sure you know that the Neutrik R/A XLR connectors can be rotated in the shell from 12 to 6 o'clock positions.

Eric

correct. just want to make my own if i can for less connector bulk. since this will be a cable specifically for the alexa and no other camera i want to customize it for best fit. i am making a cable for a zaxcom qrx.

Ken

• 1 month later...

First attempt at low profile XLR. Had problems with the female boot.

Was a last minute thing so I was using what parts i had.

Cable:
I used lab cable given to me by a friend. Not sure what cable it is but roughly the thickness of Cos11 cable.

Male end:

I drilled a cable hole as I felt that would be more secure than the notch method.

Connector cap is a filling of sugru (half pack per connector) which also keeps everything in place.

Female end (straight):

Main problem here was the boot.

Although the hole is tiny, the boot itself was very flexible, making strain relief difficult.

Strain relief (female):

I put as much heat shrink on as possible, then rescue tape around that.

This gave purchase for a cable tie.

I lined up the cable tie against the inside of the boot's exit and trimmed the cable tie.

Despite the strain relief structure being much larger than the hole, the boot is so flexible that it can just pull right through.

So I wrapped the outer section of cable with rescue tape, finishing by wrapping the bottom of the boot itself.

It is still a fragile arrangement.

Can anyone recommend a harder boot for thin cable, or a better strain relief method?

Lav size cable is too thin for standard Neutrik xlr connectors, the split collet can't close down enough to grab that cable to create a strain relief. My choice for bag use connectors is the Redco TGS-1 cable. I'm not a fan of using Sugru to fill inside the connector space. I prefer using a hot glue gun to pump in the exact amount and it sets in about 30 seconds.

The hot glue becomes the strain relief regardless of your using a hole or notch as the exit port. No shrink tubing or cable ties required. You do have to put a cap on the open end so I use presized hole plugs that are available at hardware stores, the hot glue holds them in place.

Lav size cable is too thin for standard Neutrik xlr connectors, the split collet can't close down enough to grab that cable to create a strain relief. My choice for bag use connectors is the Redco TGS-1 cable. I'm not a fan of using Sugru to fill inside the connector space. I prefer using a hot glue gun to pump in the exact amount and it sets in about 30 seconds.

The hot glue becomes the strain relief regardless of your using a hole or notch as the exit port. No shrink tubing or cable ties required. You do have to put a cap on the open end so I use presized hole plugs that are available at hardware stores, the hot glue holds them in place.

Thanks Eric.

My problem however isn't with the low profile end, just the straight female end.

As I still have a decent amount of cable I got for free I would love to find a suitable XLR boot.

Perhaps there isn't one for such thin cable, but if anyone knows of one worth trying I'd love to hear.

Thanks Eric.

My problem however isn't with the low profile end, just the straight female end.

As I still have a decent amount of cable I got for free I would love to find a suitable XLR boot.

Perhaps there isn't one for such thin cable, but if anyone knows of one worth trying I'd love to hear.

The hole in the boot is not for strain relief, the jaws in the split collet are what hold the cable in place. You can do as Rick suggests and build up the diameter with shrink tubing but then you'll need 3/16ths diameter tubing and a heat gun to shrink it. Free cable is worthless if it doesn't do the job. Buy some TGS-1 from Redco for $.25 ft and you'll be better off.

S.

thank you SeeKai for inspiring my right angle xlr/bnc cable. the pic shows my personal evolution from right angles available in the big box audio market. the smaller size seems to be agreeable

Ken

post-2171-0-88128500-1412955621_thumb.jp

thank you SeeKai for inspiring my right angle xlr/bnc cable. the pic shows my personal evolution from right angles available in the big box audio market. the smaller size seems to be agreeable

Ken

nice BNCs.

Looks like a side entry hole with a grommet or something?

Could you describe what you're doing there?

nice BNCs.

Looks like a side entry hole with a grommet or something?

Could you describe what you're doing there?

metal cutting, some bench grinding and drill pressing. a grommet and a 3/8" cap, both from local hardware store. splash of e6000 to taste. i also did flat black spray paint to keep the black theme going. if only i had a gold bnc at the time...

Ken