NiMH AA on SMV and SMQV

JamesB

Lectrosonics user manual claims 4 hours with a 2500mA NiMH on an SMV and 8.5 hours on an SMQV.

I did some testing with mine, as I would love to rely more on rechargeable cells.

After a couple of cycles on some PowerEx "2700" I found that I couldn't reach those times.  I have some two year old cells and some that are just a couple months old.  They both get similar times. 

All of my units have silver compound on them.... for some reason my 21's got about 20 minutes further then my 25s

SMV "2700" @ 100mw 3:22-3:41  - The SMQV with one battery would fall in the same range

SMV "2000" (Duracell DX1500) @ 100mw 3:08-3:12

SMQV with 2x"2700" @ 100mw 7:10

SMV "2700" @ 50mw 3:38-3:56

Anyone had any success getting the times listed in the manual?

" Anyone had any success getting the times listed in the manual? "

this has been discussed before...

as the site search can be wonky, I suggest Google, and use jwsoundgroup.net as the first search term

Yea... I tried searching yielded zero results... I will try google.

dmitri-  You seem to be beating the listed specs with those batteries... wow.  I have not done any tests at 250mw

I get similar results with Imedions and XX Eneloops. If you can, run your batteries through an analyzer and check their actual 'mah' rating.

I will see if I can find a friend with one..... I was surprised that the my newer batteries perform as well as my old ones.... I guess thats rather good news for how well they hold up over the years.  I've mainly been using them for my slate, so pretty light discharge rate, and I try to soft charge when I can.   I have also used the conditioning charge twice since purchase.

dmitri-  You seem to be beating the listed specs with those batteries... wow.  I have not done any tests at 250mw

The batteries were brand new though. I charged them with a Powerex charger at softcharge.

I have been told that the batteries perform best after a couple cycles.  I wonder if you will see an improvement once you've used them a couple times.  I will test mine on 250mw and see what I get, but I'd guess based on my prior tests that I will end up below the listed specs.  My units are the backlit models, not sure if they dont perform as well...

Typically the batteries won't make their rated capacity in real life but that was true on our tests also. Second, are you timing to shutdown of the transmitter?

Best Regards,

Larry F

Lectro

Yes Larry, I was running them until they completely shutoff.

Any reason I should expect a longer run on a different block?  I'd assume not... but cant explain why my 21s run longer then my 25s

Note that in theory, the batteries will actually last a little longer if you have the ability to turn off the transmitters a few times a day, which will extend the lifespan a little bit. I think running them continuously is actually tougher on the batteries. Different blocks shouldn't make any difference in terms of battery life.

I have not been able to hit 4 hours with my Powerex 2700's, but I have on occasion hit 3.5 hours with no problem. If I'm in a live situation or one where I know battery changes will be problematic, I just switch to Lithiums, which will easily go 5 hours. Out of about 40, I still have two or three renegade Powerexes that only go to about 1.5 hours, and those drive me nuts.

" those drive me nuts. "

loose 'em

" cant explain why my 21s run longer then my 25s "

have you tried the DS Ultra Master Reset Sequence ??

if that doesn't help, and...

if it is a problem for you, you can arrange an RMA and send them to be checked...

Edited by studiomprd

Yes Larry, I was running them until they completely shutoff.

Any reason I should expect a longer run on a different block?  I'd assume not... but cant explain why my 21s run longer then my 25s

Hi James,

When you get a break, arrange to send me the 25's (larryf@lectrosonics.com) and we will check the current draw. I'm curious since you seem to have done the right stuff.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi James,

When you get a break, arrange to send me the 25's (larryf@lectrosonics.com) and we will check the current draw. I'm curious since you seem to have done the right stuff.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks Larry-

I appreciate your offer to help, but I am afraid I am not expecting to be able to part with them anytime soon!  Anyway I can test that locally and report back to you?  --- Battery Eliminator with a DCA in-line?  Might be able to get Mike Paul and LSC to play with them on my day off.    What do you expect them to pull?  575-625mA @ 100mW?

Thanks Larry-

I appreciate your offer to help, but I am afraid I am not expecting to be able to part with them anytime soon!  Anyway I can test that locally and report back to you?  --- Battery Eliminator with a DCA in-line?  Might be able to get Mike Paul and LSC to play with them on my day off.    What do you expect them to pull?  575-625mA @ 100mW?

Hi James,

Glad you are busy. Hopefully you won't get a break but if you do, anytime in the next five years, let me know and we can take a look at them. We have some tweaks that may improve the RF efficiency and reduce the current draw. 

The battery eliminator pulls in 12 Volts and transforms it to 1.5 Volts with  8 times the current at 1.5 Volts.So measuring the battery eliminator is going to introduce efficiency errors as large as your run time difference.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Lectrosonics user manual claims 4 hours with a 2500mA NiMH on an SMV and 8.5 hours on an SMQV.

I did some testing with mine, as I would love to rely more on rechargeable cells.

After a couple of cycles on some PowerEx "2700" I found that I couldn't reach those times.  I have some two year old cells and some that are just a couple months old.  They both get similar times. 

All of my units have silver compound on them.... for some reason my 21's got about 20 minutes further then my 25s

SMV "2700" @ 100mw 3:22-3:41  - The SMQV with one battery would fall in the same range

SMV "2000" (Duracell DX1500) @ 100mw 3:08-3:12

SMQV with 2x"2700" @ 100mw 7:10

SMV "2700" @ 50mw 3:38-3:56

Anyone had any success getting the times listed in the manual?

Have You seen this:  ??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...