Upgrading Avantone CK-1 to Sennheiser MKH50

swaneon

I currently have an avantone ck-1 and am thinking of upgrading to the Sennheiser MKH-50 (wanted schoeps but I live in Seattle---humidity can be a problem).

I have a mix pre d + marantz 661 that I'd connect the mic to.

The main reason is that the avantone does not have a good reach--i find that it needs to be fairly close to the subject and considering i film, I'd prefer it to be further away in interior shots. I have a rode ntg3 for outdoor use.

I currently have an avantone ck-1 and am thinking of upgrading to the Sennheiser MKH-50 (wanted schoeps but I live in Seattle---humidity can be a problem).I have a mix pre d + marantz 661 that I'd connect the mic to.The main reason is that the avantone does not have a good reach--i find that it needs to be fairly close to the subject and considering i film, I'd prefer it to be further away in interior shots. I have a rode ntg3 for outdoor use.

Is this humidity thing with modern Schoeps peculiar to the US?

I've been using 41's ccm's and cmit5U since the early 1990's and I haven't lost one shot through humidity whereas a colleague using some old Colette mics has no end of problems even here in the UK.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s

Is this humidity thing with modern Schoeps peculiar to the US?

I've been using 41's ccm's and cmit5U since the early 1990's and I haven't lost one shot through humidity whereas a colleague using some old Colette mics has no end of problems even here in the UK.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s

im not sure---i've just heard about it from others. I'd like a hyper schoeps myself.

would either one of these provide a better range than the avantone?

thank you!

I have been using a cmit and ccm41 in humid conditions and am yet to have issues.

However I also carry a sennheiser 416 as a standby. The amount of crap they can deal with is outstanding, and it can go where I am afraid to put the schoeps.

If you can't get close enough with an Avantone, the MKH50 will not make a 'night and day' difference. I would suggest a hidden lav or recording wild take/lines...  if that's possible. Consult with 1st AD. Additionally, dialog editors often use sound from a close-up take. again if possible.

Reach on the 50 is remarkable, and not just in acoustically superior, quiet locations.

Just today, 'b' cam tilted up and reached for one character approaching while 'a' held a tighter shot of the seated actor. Not planned, mind you. Boom op compensated for headroom, quietest line of the scene, and it recorded beautifully. Noisy location too.

" am thinking of upgrading to the Sennheiser MKH-50 "

I don't really see a question in the OP...

but from a $150 to an ~$1k mic would be an upgrade...

there is the rule:

generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

definitely

it seems that the sensitivity of the mkh50 is almost 2x the avantone

but then there are great deals on the CS3 (which I've heard is usable indoors also, not as well as the mkh50 but very good for a shotgun) and that sensitivity is 2x the mkh50.

Swaneon, you really seem unsure of what mic you need. Just rent all the contenders, try them thouroughly, preferably on an actual production, and you'll know which mic is for you. We can throw mics at you all day, but it's not gonna help you

i'll try and do that

i'm not sure if there's a local shop that does that but i'll look around

" it seems that the sensitivity of the mkh50 is almost 2x the avantone "

I fear you are getting too hung up on spec's...

(and that is close to my golfer/golf clubs Senatorium)

you may have noticed in your other topic, no one has mentioned anything at all about the spec's you seem concerned with...

Another Senatorium -- "You generally get what you pay for" -- is often true. The Avantone is a $149 Chinese mic. I don't think it's going to compare with a Sennheiser MKH50 that sells for about $1000 more. 

I think the best advice is: rent one and try it for yourself.

• 1 month later...

definitely

it seems that the sensitivity of the mkh50 is almost 2x the avantone

but then there are great deals on the CS3 (which I've heard is usable indoors also, not as well as the mkh50 but very good for a shotgun) and that sensitivity is 2x the mkh50.

Don't concern yourself with sensitivity, there's many other reasons why the MKH50 is a superior mic (smoother response, lower self-noise, lighter weight). Yes, mics with low sensitivity need more gain, but with high-end preamps (SD, Zaxcom, Nagra, etc) this is not an issue. You'll hear the noise floor of the mic before the noise floor of these preamps. The CMIT 5 U has low sensitivity and needs a lot of gain, yet it's a favourite among many due to its sound, light-weight, and off-axis response.

Also, sensitivity has nothing to do with reach. Reach is a perception based on directionality of the mic and its response (to a lesser extent).