K-tek boompole recommendations

Victor Nguyen

Hello all, and before anyone tell me to use the search bar, I have already read through these threads.

So, I'm shopping for a boompole to start training my arm/shoulder cause I'm a wimpy thing right now. My friend recommended the K-Tek Avalons but I see in many threads people prefer the Klassic. I'm thinking of getting a 12' pole and upgrade later if I need to (I'm probably going to end up with 3 poles anyway according to some threads). What are the consensus between Klassic and Avalons?

I know there are other brand like Loons, but there are numerous discussions on other threads about this topic. I just want to stick with K-tek because they are a respectable brand.

And if there are anyone selling the Avalons/Klassic for under $750, please send me a pm... and maybe throw in a student discount? ;D

Victor, you have been around here long enough, and have, as you  noted, read about the poles.

you might have also that folks from a couple manufacturers visit here, including Dave Fisk from K-Tek... so you can easily do some PMing,  and the "usual suspects" have toll-free telephones, as well as presence here.

I'm not really sure if this is a question, or just a WTB..?

" What are the consensus between Klassic and Avalons? "

you mean you haven't figured out Avalon is a bit lower price option ?:?

I'm not really sure if this is a question, or just a WTB..?

It's actually both... I know it is a dumb question but $750 is a lot of money to me and I just want to make sure that I made the right decisions so I just want some expert opinions that might tell me "sure get the Klassic over Avalons because of etc" or "No, try this other model over those two because of etc".

Yeah, the Avalons is less expensive but there has to be a reason why. On that note, I probably just want to call Dave Fisk and ask. Also ProSound, I don't live in California. :blink:

" Yeah, the Avalons is less expensive but there has to be a reason why. "

of course...

and K-Tek makes no secrets about it...

and the rule is: Generally speaking, you get what you pay for

" I just want some expert opinions that might tell me "sure get the Klassic over Avalons because of etc" or "No, try this other model over those two because of etc". "

you certainly will

Hi Victor,

A while ago I made a quick boom pole flow chart that helps explain the differences between all of our poles. You can see it here:

http://www.ktekbooms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Boom_Pole_Flow_Chart.pdf

You can also check our main boom pole page here:

http://www.ktekbooms.com/audio/boom-poles/

Each type of our boom poles have their own pages, which are linked to in the main boom pole page. 

If you really want to bulk up, you could always get the KE144 aluminum boom pole. It goes to 12 feet, and is aluminum, so it is kind of heavy. I usually see those in universities or high schools. 

If you have any specific questions, you can always call me at 760-727-0593. We are in southern California, so keep in mind that we are on pacific time. 

I upgraded from a Rode straight to a 21' Klassic. The Rode was heavy and very creaky, and I needed any pole really, but it just happens that I found one second hand on eBay for a quarter of the price new; turns out it was brand new and never even removed from its bag. Glad I found it, they're impossible to get imported from the US without waiting years or paying extraordinary shipping.

The 21' did have a flat base, but I bought a flow through from B&H (I think) and wired a cable in. Because it wasn't a stage pole I had to thread the cable and then solder the XLRs on. The flow through base works very well and the cable's not once kinked inside the pole. Having 21 whole feet is great as well, I rarely use it, but it's useful when it's needed. I could have considered Panamic, Gitzo, whatever, but I really wanted one with an internal cable, and Gitzos don't have as wide flow through ends, so they're more likely to kink from what I read. I have no idea how efficient their coiled cables are.

The Klassic is a great pole, and I'm sure are all K-Teks are too. One problem I did have (once) through is that if the top section is dropped too hard, a tapered ring below the head can jam into the first locking collar. It took a few of us to pull it out. My remedy was to wrap black LX just under the head so it can't jam as easily, and if it does I can peel away the tape and it should free itself.

I did purchase a 16' Klassic CCR from Pinknoise, but after not receiving it after two weeks I rang up and they told me it had been sold before I bought it. Fair enough, but the guy on the phone knew exactly what had happened before I even asked, and clearly had no intention of contacting me about it. Technically it was a breach of the Sale of Goods Act but I couldn't be bothered to deal with them again, even though I got refunded. I saw a great condition SQN 4S-IVe on sale from them for a decent price recently, and although it's exactly perfect, when I saw the name of the seller I instantly knew I wouldn't be buying it. I know it might be petty, but no seller deserves my custom after happily accepting my £500 for something that doesn't exist. It's not like they even intended to import one, I was told that it had simply been sold and they don't import them.

Hi Gandy Moon,

If you ever have service issues over there, do not hesitate to contact me, either through here or to my e-mail which is dave at ktekbooms daht com.

I should mention that I recently made Everything Audio (which is located at Elstree Studios) a re-seller. 

Victor, I just purchased the K-tek 144CCR (12ft) and it's a great pole. I have a shorter K-tek graphite that I've always used and really enjoy, but I must say I'm impressed with this one. I believe it was $270 from BH, great "budget pole". The weight difference between the graphite and aluminum is minimal.