Wired lapel mics you guys still use them?

markfarrowaudiopost

I don't carry any hard wired lavaliere anymore. Since a long time (think 20 years).

The last remembrance I have using them is an interview with Jean-Paul Belmondo (complete with small dog and shark tooth, the whole deal) on a sofa, and it was like... 1988. Maybe. 

I have some hardwired Sony's in the drawer that I use sometimes in my musical projects (think "creative" recordings...)

I have enough wireless spares to keep things going even in the worst scenario.

I have a couple I keep around just incase but truthfully I don't need them.  I keep them mostly to cover my butt in case I run into that dreaded day where I walk into an interview location only to find that all my wireless blocks are useless due to wireless internet routers and the like.

I carry a couple of ambient eumels and spare mics in case I need to hardwire something or something goes down.

+1 The Ambient Eumel will take anything that is wired TA5 and make it hardwired I have two of them and use them to make my Sanken CUB hardwired and to make a hardwired lav if needed. Its important to be able to hardwire a lav if needed. I have done some interviews on military installations and in some high security corporate data centers which did not allow anything wireless. I had to disconnect my wireless and leave them along with my cellphone before entering  the data center it was a very loud area so the boom was not a good choice. IF you don't have a Ta5 adapter you should have atleast 1 

I always keep 2 hardwired in my kit. A few years back at the Cannes film festival, the cameraman and I were setting up for a host/guest interview near mobile/sat trucks. I powered up 2 Lectros (different blocks), and both had the pilot tone flashing (IIRC) - I was getting nothing. With no time to troubleshoot, I reached for my hardwired. They saved my butt. A few hundred meters from that spot, the Lectros were working fine.

I have the XLR adaptors for my DPA lavs. I use them in cars quite often, whenever I can't fit anything larger in there. I try to avoid wireless in cars, so this helps

Hi Constantin,

Your DPA lavs it's with hardwired connector or MicroDot? Any issues if the cable end is with MicroDot?

Hi Constantin,

Your DPA lavs it's with hardwired connector or MicroDot? Any issues if the cable end is with MicroDot?

I have one MicroDot --> XLR with power lent to the music studio for pre-recording playback that went live on shoot day with the same DPA lav mic. Have not used it in the field m'self, but no emergency texts from studio mixer so I'm thinking it went swell.

That's the only hard wire option I've got at the moment since I sold / traded all the Audio Limited 6-pin mics and associated gear and gak.

Thanks for the reminder to think about this issue: is one enough?

Hi Constantin,

It's the MicroDot, so technically it's not hardwired. I have only once had an issue when I didn't screw the adaptor on properly. That's sonething you'll hear immediately. But that never happened again. But never any other issues. I know that some people have the connector soldered to their DPAs, but I love the flexibility

I have one MicroDot --> XLR with power lent to the music studio for pre-recording playback that went live on shoot day with the same DPA lav mic. Have not used it in the field m'self, but no emergency texts from studio mixer so I'm thinking it went swell.

That's the only hard wire option I've got at the moment since I sold / traded all the Audio Limited 6-pin mics and associated gear and gak.

Thanks for the reminder to think about this issue: is one enough?

One is enough I think and believe.

I don't know for studio and I think in studio it's more comfortable for the cable. In body it's different. You know!

Thank you Jan!

It's the MicroDot, so technically it's not hardwired. I have only once had an issue when I didn't screw the adaptor on properly. That's sonething you'll hear immediately. But that never happened again. But never any other issues. I know that some people have the connector soldered to their DPAs, but I love the flexibility

Flexibility for wireless and non-wireless. ;~)

You need to tight hard to adapter?

+1 A great thread and a good reminder to address this. I think I'm going to go the Ambient Eumel route myself as all my lavs are wired for Lectro. I'm finding out now if the units are compatible with Servo vs. Non-servo wiring. They look like great little units.