how to block a section

It's good to know it can be blocked.

However, I thought the petty, personal attacks, chest thumping, name calling section was supposed to disappear into 'Groups.'

I still have concerns that newcomers and visitors will be put off by (what is on many visits) the first four out of five topics being laced with irrational, mean spirited, political vitriol. I think it reflects poorly on us as a supportive community and on JWsound in general.

I agree with both John and fieldmixer. I was hoping that I could get all these folks over to the Groups section (where they can duke it out amongst themselves) but there has been few takers. I could, of course, just close the SP&P section which would force them to experiment with Groups. I am just a little reluctant to do something that strong unilaterally (but it is MY site isn't it).

Yes it is, and you would not be the first to try this.   The estimable Lynn Fuston, proprietor of the "3DB" forum (mostly studio music engineers) used to have a section called "The Quagmire".  It could be an ugly place, and arguments there seemed to metastasize into other parts of the forum, which are usually quite civil  (Lynn enforces a no-profanity policy.)  It started to be clear that there were people who only posted in that section, pretty much, and didn't take much part in the music and music recording discussions that were the reason the forum in the first place. Eventually Lynn decided that there were plenty of other places on the web for political argument, and shut it down--he didn't like that sort of discussion happening in his "house" so to speak.  

philp

I blocked the SP&P section and I have been much happier. I want to be the best sound mixer I can be by reading and contributing to this site when I can. I do not want to spend my time engaging in hostile banter with people I haven't even met about things they will never change their minds about in the first place.

I for one wouldn't miss it if the section were relegated to 'Groups', and it would solve my problem of being unable to block the SP&P section on my mobile devices.

Since I filtered out the SP&P thread a few weeks back, my stress levels have dropped, I've become a better father and husband, I think I'm close to resolving a few childhood issues, and I even gained enough confidence to tell both the 1st and 2nd AC, "I've already jammed the lockitbox twice. Slate matches recorder, lockit is jammed correctly, and with all due respect, if camera TC is off it's because we're having a RED moment."

(and we were)

What a difference one thread makes.

I support the permanent erasure of the sp&p altogether.

Jeff, "do it like a band-aid, one motion, RIGHT-OFF!" Click.

I even support the blocking of particular "members" who's overall contribution to the forum is toxic. I think we all know who that is. A "member" who's main contribution to the group is to primarily stir up discord and basically cause conflict, I would boot from my board if I had one. Especially after all this wasted time. Actually this is probably exactly what this, likely sociopathic board member enjoys. This is his self actualization.

RIP Society, Politics n the Planet.... I may be the only one who will miss you and you're entertaining theater of the absurd. The endless back and forth with witty put downs and retorts. I will miss the faux historical member hiding his true identity, (though not very well), the reflective surface, some may call reactionary, and the man from Arizona fighting tooth and nail against the relentless Henchman was certainly not to everyones taste, but I enjoyed it. I guess we are now safe to return to the wiring diagrams and "what mic" conversations that we all hold dear. So rest in peace my friend, you may be gone, but you won't be forgotten. 

CrewC

While I agree there was a certain "car wreck" fascination to the absurdity of the SP&P section, It's so nice for the atmosphere of the forum to return to the kindler, gentler environment that is more reflective of our host's wishes for this wonderful resource he fathered.

The nasty, baiting threads had seemed to be multiplying beyond reason and were too often dominating the "New Content." 

Giving users who wish to engage in such mindless squabbles their own area is the best solution for all concerned except for those whose main goal was to force their point-of-view onto everyone possible.

Political discussions wouldn't be "mindless" if the participants listened to and respected each other, but without that it's pretty much just verbal masturbation and, therefore, belongs behind closed doors.