Lithium Polymer batteries

soundmanjohn

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>I'm making a minimal-pack trip to the USA and have been looking for an alternative to the usual NP-1 suspects with regard to batteries. I've come across a company called Tracer</p>

<p>(<a href="http://www.deben.com/tracer-battery-packs.html">http://www.deben.com/tracer-battery-packs.html</a>) which makes LiPo packs for the hunting community and at a reasonable price, 8AH/12v for around US$160, which seems like a good deal. I'm just wondering of anyone has any experience of using this type of battery on a home-brew BDS, or straight powering and, if so, if there's anything I should know about.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>It'll be used to power my ST450, which only uses 7 Watts, so it should give me a decent length of time per charge.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Any information or caveats much appreciated.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>John</p>

Guest Taskin

Hello all,

I'm making a minimal-pack trip to the USA and have been looking for an alternative to the usual NP-1 suspects with regard to batteries. I've come across a company called Tracer

(http://www.deben.com/tracer-battery-packs.html) which makes LiPo packs for the hunting community and at a reasonable price, 8AH/12v for around US$160, which seems like a good deal. I'm just wondering of anyone has any experience of using this type of battery on a home-brew BDS, or straight powering and. if so, if there's anything I should know about.

It'll be used to power my ST450, which only uses 7 Watts, so it should give me a decent length of time per charge.

Any information or caveats much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I am just about to invest in some powering as well and would love to know what the deal is with these....

Hi,

I'm using Li-pol batteries with my 664 recorder. I order the 4s cells from http://www.hobbyking.com and it was really cheaper If I compare with NP batteries. 

The problem is, if you would discharge the cells too much, the battery died. So I had to buy some cut off circuit to guard battery. But I really like the features like no memory effect, no self discharging, the weight.

Thanks for that: the main reason for going with the Tracer packs is that they have over-charge and over-discharge protection built in, plus the meter that at least gives you an indication of how much time you have left.

What sort of run-time are you getting and what's the rating of the battery - not sure I've got the right ones on their web-site.

Regards,

John

I see that that tracer one has a 300 cycle lifetime. The other day I stumbled open lipo cells with an estimate of 1000 cycles. If I am at home I will check my iPad history of I can find them.

Oh and they were cheap as well.

My concern with a new mounting system (V-Mount in this case) is that I'll have to buy and carry an adaptor and a charger to suit the system, whereas what I'm looking for on this trip is something that's small, light, has sufficient lasting power and uses a compact charger. I think I'll take a punt on one Tracer, see how it does and then decide whether to buy a second.

Thanks,

John

If I'm not mistaken LIPo batteries and completely illegal to fly with.  Lithium ION are ok to fly with if carried on.  Something to think about.

Not sure about that.  I've been using LIPo batteries for tx and bag and haven't had any issues traveling with them.  LiPo  are considered safer than lithium ion too I believe.

If I'm not mistaken LIPo batteries and completely illegal to fly with. Lithium ION are ok to fly with if carried on. Something to think about.

Simply not true. All our smartphones have lipo's by the way.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/aircarrier_info/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

LiPo  are considered safer than lithium ion too I believe.

Nope, as it's almost exactly the same chemistry. In fact, soft-pack lipo are more susceptible to puncture, which would cause a fire.

You may be thinking of Lifepo4, which is a newer chemistry and is a lot more stable than either Li-ion or Lipo

My concern with a new mounting system (V-Mount in this case) is that I'll have to buy and carry an adaptor and a charger to suit the system, whereas what I'm looking for on this trip is something that's small, light, has sufficient lasting power and uses a compact charger. I think I'll take a punt on one Tracer, see how it does and then decide whether to buy a second.

Thanks,

John

Hi John.

I'm putting together my debut location rig at the moment and was referred to this New Zealand company by a camera guy:

Globalmediapro

They make v-lock (among others) batteries that look quite promising. Perhaps not the lightest batteries out there, but as far as I can tell, the price / weight / power ratio of their 160W battery is unmatched. The thing that makes them especially compelling is that each battery has a D-Tap output which can be used to both power your rig and charge the battery from a relatively cheap wall power adapter - they actually recommend getting individual mini chargers as articulated in their FAQ.

Good luck with it all!

Regards.

Dave.

Dave: I'm using a very similar v-lock I got from batteries4broadcast to power my Nomad and wireless and it's working really well. I got the 6Ah batteries because anything with more capacity is physically too large.

If you are looking at global medial, there are a few people on this site using these, and they look like a better deal per amp hour: http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2G3L2/Globalmediapro-SCQ2-DC-U-2-channel-Charger-2-x-DCU95-Battery-95WH-with-D-Tap-DCUF3-Adapter/

Dave: I'm using a very similar v-lock I got from batteries4broadcast to power my Nomad and wireless and it's working really well. I got the 6Ah batteries because anything with more capacity is physically too large.

If you are looking at global medial, there are a few people on this site using these, and they look like a better deal per amp hour: http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2G3L2/Globalmediapro-SCQ2-DC-U-2-channel-Charger-2-x-DCU95-Battery-95WH-with-D-Tap-DCUF3-Adapter/

Thanks for the heads-up Johnpaul! Those DCU95s seem to be a good 10% cheaper per Wh, and slightly better weight to power ratio as well (and better volume to power ratio).

I was basing my single-large-battery-weight-ratio thoughts on an assumption that I would be carrying a spare with me anyway, but of course there's always safety (redundancy) in numbers :)

Any luck with the search John Leonard?

Regards.

Dave.

BTW I use a D-tap cable to go from the v-mount to the BDS. The B4B and global media pro batteries have options of output ports to connect to. That way I don't have the added thickness of a v-mount plate.

If you google search the group, I think it was a thread about bag power options besides an NP-1 that got into what other people are using.

At the moment, my primary concerns are size, weight and air-travel safety. The Tracer packs are OK to travel with and weigh 600 grams for the 8AH packs. I'll only be using them to power the ST450 psu/controller, so an enormous amount of grunt isn't necessary. The cycle life is a bit worrying, but I'm told that it's a very conservative, worst-case figure. The company seems to be very open and honest in its replies to emails, which is encouraging, but I will look at the D-tap options offered by the other two companies mentioned.

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging replies.

Have a great weekend - I've just updated the firmware in my 788 and will be nipping out to get some local steam locomotive recordings, if the weather stays good. BTW, have the crazy cicadas started yet? I'll be over in the US in a couple of weeks and wouldn't want to miss them!

Regards,

John

At the moment, my primary concerns are size, weight and air-travel safety. The Tracer packs are OK to travel with and weigh 600 grams for the 8AH packs. I'll only be using them to power the ST450 psu/controller, so an enormous amount of grunt isn't necessary. The cycle life is a bit worrying, but I'm told that it's a very conservative, worst-case figure. The company seems to be very open and honest in its replies to emails, which is encouraging, but I will look at the D-tap options offered by the other two companies mentioned.

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging replies.

Have a great weekend - I've just updated the firmware in my 788 and will be nipping out to get some local steam locomotive recordings, if the weather stays good. BTW, have the crazy cicadas started yet? I'll be over in the US in a couple of weeks and wouldn't want to miss them!

Regards,

John

The 17 year cycle Brood II are starting to emerge in some places, but we had another cold snap, so I don't know what that will do to them. Here's a map. I've seen some pictures of them emerging on the southern part of their range, but I have not personally found any in Pennsylvania yet. Brood II is only on the Northeast, but the annuals are all over the country. 

Thanks for the cicada info - sounds like they should be out in force by the time I get back to the east coast.

As far as the batteries go, I was almost sold on the GlobalMediaPro DVU95 x 2 & Charger set-up until I noticed that they're in New Zealand. Carriage, import duty, VAT at 20% and Post Office handling charges at the UK end, based on the last item I purchased from that part of the world, adds well over £100/US$150 to the cost, which makes it a less easy decision. I suspect a pair of the Tracers may well be the winners in this competition.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the cicada info - sounds like they should be out in force by the time I get back to the east coast.

As far as the batteries go, I was almost sold on the GlobalMediaPro DVU95 x 2 & Charger set-up until I noticed that they're in New Zealand. Carriage, import duty, VAT at 20% and Post Office handling charges at the UK end, based on the last item I purchased from that part of the world, adds well over £100/US$150 to the cost, which makes it a less easy decision. I suspect a pair of the Tracers may well be the winners in this competition.

Regards,

John

John the duty is 4.7% but always remember that the VAT is on the cost of the goods and carriage.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Hi John.

I'm putting together my debut location rig at the moment and was referred to this New Zealand company by a camera guy:

Globalmediapro

They make v-lock (among others) batteries that look quite promising. Perhaps not the lightest batteries out there, but as far as I can tell, the price / weight / power ratio of their 160W battery is unmatched. The thing that makes them especially compelling is that each battery has a D-Tap output which can be used to both power your rig and charge the battery from a relatively cheap wall power adapter - they actually recommend getting individual mini chargers as articulated in their FAQ.

Good luck with it all!

Regards.

Dave.

The GMP batteries are rebranded chinese made batteries which I believe use japanese cells.  I've been using the Vect branded ones and they have been really solid - not the best shape for my bag but heaps better run time than my np1s - I have however found the d-tap to be a weak point and have opened it up and resoldiered the connections and reinforced the cable output point, and the connection has become a bit sloppy over time, probably because of the less than ideal thickness.  I get about 2 days out of the 95wH using a home made loom off the d-tap - have rarely had issues ( 1 or 2 caused by cable breaks rather than battery )

The GMP batteries are rebranded chinese made batteries which I believe use japanese cells. I've been using the Vect branded ones and they have been really solid - not the best shape for my bag but heaps better run time than my np1s - I have however found the d-tap to be a weak point and have opened it up and resoldiered the connections and reinforced the cable output point, and the connection has become a bit sloppy over time, probably because of the less than ideal thickness. I get about 2 days out of the 95wH using a home made loom off the d-tap - have rarely had issues ( 1 or 2 caused by cable breaks rather than battery )

friend of mine made a custom connector out of the wide connector of a v mount plate. It's more secure. As you can see in this pic you can detach it from a plate with four screws;

post-1632-136964626688.jpg

I'm using Li-pol batteries with my 664 recorder. I order the 4s cells from http://www.hobbyking.com 

Take care with those batteries, they maybe dangerous...My son use them for radio plane. In case of shock or heat they may explode.

I have seen that one day. I really prefer paying much for my gear, and myself !