Good Production Sound Mixer vs. Great

A mixer can't please everyone all the time on the job any more than they can in the rest of their life.  The key is finding a woprkable compromise and trying to stay focused on the job as a whole.  Other crew people often view soundies as being overly focused on just their own world, and are annoyed by this.  This must have been the case often enough at some point in history (before my time) that the grudging attitude one gets from some folks in other depts must have come from somewhere.  I put real effort into trying to confound these people's expectations of how I'll solve problems, while still getting the best recording I can.  

Re Jan's post--yes, being out with an uncommitted or distracted or just plain unsuited person as a boom op is a misery for a mixer.  On the indies I used to do I finally refused to accept this kind of person as my assistant: I got better, if less complete, sound working alone.   But...there were shining exceptions of people who were newbies and turned out to have a real flair for the work--that was a great joy.

philp 

What is it that makes a sound mixer "great" or "good"?

- The project

Good Sound Mixer: A normal project with common methods to capture dialogues etc with brilliant results in quality.

Great Sound Mixer: A difficult project with new way methods to capture dialogues etc with unexpected brilliant results in quality.

Just my thought.

What is it that makes a sound mixer "great" or "good"?

- The project

Good Sound Mixer: A normal project with common methods to capture dialogues etc with brilliant results in quality.

Great Sound Mixer: A difficult project with new way methods to capture dialogues etc with unexpected brilliant results in quality.

Just my thought.

Difficult project, methods appropriate to the task, budget and situation and not used simply because they are new, in fashion or because someone wrote about them on the web; thinks and acts for the good of the project as a whole even if that results in some slight dimunution of audio quality, is harder for sound  and isn't how the mixer originally wanted to work (ie flexibility).  Overcomes  many problems and issues with panache and good humor, especially those issues not directly related to audio technology.

philp

The experience to recognize what needs to be done, the ability and the skill to actually do it, combined with the courage and caring to move forward on that knowledge.

All this carefully wrapped around an awesome personality and secured with a solid work ethic.

This message scanned by NSA, IRS, and Skynet, and has been approved for your usage by the Empire.

• 2 weeks later...