Nomad 12 and Stereo QRX100's with & without IFB Option Setup Musings

Jan McL

Taking my Zaxcom bag to its next level of usefulness. Writing this post will hopefully help me think it through more thoroughly.

What I want to ultimately do is this:

• Remote RX-in-a-bag:
    • Mix from main cart to Nomad Track 1 via cat 5
    • Up to six Iso sends back to cart via cat5's
    • Nomad time code jammed to main recorder for DIT time code via Deneke slate (1/4" --> BNCF cable ordered)
    • TRX's IFB voting may have to be turned on to resolve IFB100 and Nomad IFB signal conflicts as TRX's move between main cart and remote set. Test forthcoming.
  • Bag recorder:
    • Mix to Track 1
    • Up to six isos thereafter
    • Nomad jammed from Deneke slate to match main cart time code
    • SNA antennas stand by if needed, otherwise, 1/4 waves
    • Think it's time for a small cart upon which to rest the bag and safely hold an external LiFe Pelican battery. Could use my chair and our apple box...but...have ordered this with the plan to add a top bag-shelf and antenna mast:

8889502421_e48a34cc03_d.jpg

Questions & thoughts:

• What advantage/disadvantage to leaving IFB voting 'on' on TRX if only one IFB source exists?
  • When IFB voting is 'on' my guess is the main cart IFB should be 2.473 and Nomad IFB should be 2.475. That's where I plan to begin anyway. Seems like it's working.
  • I think I've got to have QRX's IFB turned off and rely on Nomad's Zaxnet controls. Try to imagine alternative setups that might use QRX IFB along with Nomad, but yet cannot, and nothing jumps out at me for this job.
  • Whether to go AES from QRX's to Nomad. Figured I could do it with the construction of a beefier DE-15 cable (all four pairs in and out), but why? Are the AES up sides yet worth it given I've no mixer able to receive AES at the main cart? When that happens, I'm likely to make the jump to AES since it takes variables out of the signal chain = less to think about.
  • Current TRX version 7.30M I'm told must go back to factory for updating software. Should I make the trip? Dunno...

Stuff to do:

• Special USBM --> USBM cables to link the 3 QRX units were ordered spec'ed today. Will report back.
  • Practice TRX742 stereo cone deployment
  • Practice switching between bag and remote RX rig settings
  • Back up settings to CF card
  • Build bag cart
  • Add 3rd QRX
  • Test Neverclip on Neverclip-enabled TRX units
  • Range test the bag

All for now, but for sure, more later as things develop.

TRX900 and all TRX's at V. 7.30M

Nomad V 4.45

QRX100 Stereo V. 1.46 

8867248094_425690636d_d.jpg

I haven't got time to reply to all of the list, but there is not much of a benefit to updating at the factory past 7.30M - AFAIK, both 'streams' of firmware have the same features. I sent mine in for a service when I had a downturn in work (Christmas period) and they were updated and re-calibrated then.

I recently upgraded my trx900 board at factory. I'm now beyond the 7-30m. I was interested in trying out the zaxnet timecode send capabilities. It works. But really only over a few feet.. like three feet. I was interested in making that my timecode send for a future Maxx purchase, but have come away from that plan... No maxx until it has zaxnet.

Sorry, I still can't believe it doesn't...

The TRX or ERX will be set to 2473  and when the signal is lost for more than 100ms it will look at 2473+2 = 2475 to see if there is a signal. If so it will stay on 2475 until the signal is lost and then it will try 2473 again.

i don't think currently you can have four AES all in use and still have the IFB on nomad turned on, no configuration for that yet?!

in the QIFB menu there is one function you can let the QIFB stay in IFB TX mode but still receive TC from TRX, if you plan to use the QIFB for 3rd IFB this function would become handy sometimes,cableless but still in sync

i sent my TRX900AA back to factory last month and now it's v.8.19, they can modify that now. what's the story on 7.30M ? i think i had my 942 on 7.30M before and now 7.30P, anything wrong with M-P ? 

and seems like that Jan you should upgrade your QIFB software too, 

QOPT: v1.51 Feb 19 2013

fixed QIFB not remembering timecode after a power cycle

Cloud,

You can run 6 AES inputs and Zaxnet at the same time currently. It turns off the analog inputs 5,6,9,10. This is how I run my setup.

Jan, the advantages of going AES are simplicity and keeping the audio from the extra d/a a/d stages. The disadvantage is no input controls (besides gain) basically no HP or notch filters, and no dedicated input meters. This hasn't been a problem for me so far, the high pass is built into the TX, where it should be except the 742, which is a problem. Also there is no support for routing AES inputs on the eng screen, but that won't affect narrative workflows.

I'm curious why you are linking your QRX via the serial port if you are leaving the ifb option off? I don't see the benefit.

Kelsey

http://wanderingear.net

Yea , I have been asking for 4 AES " 8 channels" and zaxnet simultaneously for some time. Howy mentioned back in the day that it might be possible to have option 8 with zaxnet if he shares it with the com or slate channel

Especially now when the transmitters come with never clip would be great.

.But I am not buying the new neverclip transmitters so it does not metter for me. I still go analog from qrx100.

Kelsey,

The USB option for locking QIFB with QRX's is only for backup in the event the rest goes to crap or I come up with some other use for it. Starting the process now because evidently, they don't exist in the wild. L-com is generating a quote and my sales guy there says they may have a minimum order. If anyone's interested in getting some just in case, let me know.

The TRX upgrade has to do with TRX-as-IFB transmitter option during free-run athletic sequences. Figure it might prove helpful for the director (and me) to be able to dial in from an ERX if the shizzle goes off the rails.

That's what I thought re: AES. Not worth the trouble just now since I got enough to get my head around for this 'un.

Jan

Jan, if you are hoping to be able to dial in from an erx the ifb audio sent from an upgraded trx, you will basically have to be standing next to the transmitter. Literally 3-5 feet. Forgive me if I have misunderstood your potential setup. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Kelsey,

The USB option for locking QIFB with QRX's is only for backup in the event the rest goes to crap or I come up with some other use for it. Starting the process now because evidently, they don't exist in the wild. L-com is generating a quote and my sales guy there says they may have a minimum order. If anyone's interested in getting some just in case, let me know.

The TRX upgrade has to do with TRX-as-IFB transmitter option during free-run athletic sequences. Figure it might prove helpful for the director (and me) to be able to dial in from an ERX if the shizzle goes off the rails.

That's what I thought re: AES. Not worth the trouble just now since I got enough to get my head around for this 'un.

Jan

That makes sense. Are you saying l-com has a minimum order to custom make you the USB cable for the QRX? If that doesn't pan out, I can make you one, I have the parts here. I made one for myself to test with because I really liked the idea of the transmitter changing frequency when I change it at the receiver. It's pretty amazing. The reason I didn't go this route is I want start/stop commands to come from my nomad, and it's more efficient to change the gain with the nomad than the QRX. I was hoping I could loop out of the nomads serial port like the QRX, but that's not the case.

Either way, nice setup.

http://wanderingear.net

Because I'm having some issues getting some TRX's IFB to vote properly and update time code to nearest IFB signal, going to Zaxcom mothership tomorrow to upgrade from 7.30M to most recent version. Yup. That's the version that has to go back.

L-com can't make the custom cables. Dunno why. Would love to have 3 of those USB cables from you, Wandering :)

As soon as I hit 'enter' here, going for the Nomad update to 5.16.

Thanks for weighing in, y'all.

During the course of updating Nomad to 5.16, went again through the QRX's and found that the IFB software there was out of date which was causing some of my TRX's not to receive gain control, record/play/stop and time code commands. With the proper update, all of that seems now correct.

Meanwhile, the DeWalt Bag Cart arrived:

8957203861_e7fc81c563_d.jpg

8958400946_f7b37c5664_d.jpg

Have another antenna mast coming:

546540.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=546540&is=REG

Cogitate how/where to mount it, but...

8958891014_a66faa341c_d.jpg

The bag just fits in the bottom, extra-large box and the tray still fits on top.

All the gak will live in the boxes, too.

Feels pretty sturdy but imagine having to replace extant wheels with something beefier and less "plastic".

The aluminum box closures seem a bit fragile, but there is another means to keep the lid closed, so not too worried.

Onward. Upward.