ERX2-TCD Output And Questions

cory

Hey All--

Wanted to know your thoughts on this one. I have always wanted an option for the ERX to have a more robust (and locking?) output such as a TA-3 or lemo out for when it is used as a camera hop for scratch audio and TC (i.e this is what I use these devices for-- usually not handing these off to production as IFB). The 1/8th cable seems to slip out a lot, and that's not something I really want to deal with, especially if using it as a "lockit."

The 1/8th inch cable out could still work, but perhaps it would be really nice if there was a screw outside so if I happened to make a screw on-cable I could use it?

Just as a show of hands, how many people use these as camera hops more often and how many use them as IFB more often? How many people are evenly split?

c

I had the service guy at a rental shop in Burbank replace the volume knob with a BNC so it could output TC while still feeding audio though the mini-jack.  Down side is that I lost 2 ERX's as a comtek feed for clients.  But when I need to feed scratch and TC to any camera that accepts both, I'm golden.

Gabe

I definitely use mine exclusively as a scratch/tc box so far. I'm not opposed to using it as IFB in the future when I get more.

I've been meaning to change over all my camera cables from straight 1/8" to right angle and then attach a small Velcro strap that can be latched over the jack. I haven't had a straight cable come out yet but a right angle with Velcro would make me feel better.

For an year I have been using the erx as a jambox mixtrack hop. I use right angle plug and have not had any problems. I however agree that a locking connection will be great.

I also would like a box without the volume knob and power switch.

+1 Get rid of the pot or at least have a button press combo to lock the trim. Something like holding down the up/down buttons for a 3 count. When I use it as a hop, that knob is bumped in between set ups once a day without fail.

Another great feature would be a low battery warning with the LED flashing red when levels are below 20%. I hate seeing a dead ERX on camera and don't always have the luxury of walking up to camera to check battery levels.

+1 Get rid of the pot or at least have a button press combo to lock the trim. Something like holding down the up/down buttons for a 3 count. When I use it as a hop, that knob is bumped in between set ups once a day without fail.

Another great feature would be a low battery warning with the LED flashing red when levels are below 20%. I hate seeing a dead ERX on camera and don't always have the luxury of walking up to camera to check battery levels.

If you're using the ERX on camera, you can set the volume control in the extended menu to 'fixed max level' instead of 'variable'. This allows you to set the volume level correctly in the first menu item, and bumping the knob will have no effect.

If you're using the ERX on camera, you can set the volume control in the extended menu to 'fixed max level' instead of 'variable'. This allows you to set the volume level correctly in the first menu item, and bumping the knob will have no effect.

I never thought to do this, Great tip!

I ve been using erx as tc/scratch box and ifb pack for a while now and never had the jack disconected because i use a 90degree connector and the erx never leaves his protection pouch. The trick is to have the pouch to hold the jack in place. Erx will fit any iphone 3-4 case. Got all of mine for 6$ each.

I took a trip to the dollar store and found a 2-pack of Blackberry pouches that I retrofitted with a bogo tie that works nicely when looped around a belt buckle for only a buck.

8919375715_339712cb61_z.jpg
8919373267_b1c2a0b908_z.jpg

My ERX's had the original bodies without the volume 'protector' so I had to get the new bodies for the mod to work.  The service guy over at Audio Department; Burbank, CA. removed the volume knob, cut, routed, and soldered a lead from the board to the BNC.  So the BNC is sending TC while the jack sends audio.

Gabe

post-518-0-85492900-1370145352_thumb.jpg

I never thought to do this, and most of the time the knob gets bumped to a higher level so this would cut down on peaked audio. Great tip! But, if the knob gets bumped the other way I'm SOL unfortunately.

Not sure if we're in agreement here...but in 'fixed max gain' mode the knob has no effect whatsoever regardless of which direction it is moved.

My ERX's had the original bodies without the volume 'protector' so I had to get the new bodies for the mod to work.  The service guy over at Audio Department; Burbank, CA. removed the volume knob, cut, routed, and soldered a lead from the board to the BNC.  So the BNC is sending TC while the jack sends audio.

Gabe

This looks really good.

Looks good. Can you get him to replace the switch with a small switch similar to the trx900la?

Gabe

Not sure if we're in agreement here...but in 'fixed max gain' mode the knob has no effect whatsoever regardless of which direction it is moved.

Didn't think it through and you are right, my original post has been edited.

I run the erx with 2 powered fora very long time. Next day I just put fresh batteries. Sometimes the say after the next....never run out of juice...

I switched to Powerex as well, but the v1 ERX reverse polarity protectors that are too thick. I shaved mine down quite a bit to accomodate my Eneloops, but they still don't work with my Powerex.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...

Didn't think it through and you are right, my original post has been edited.

I switched to Powerex as well, but the v1 ERX reverse polarity protectors that are too thick. I shaved mine down quite a bit to accomodate my Eneloops, but they still don't work with my Powerex.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...

A drop of solder on the positive contacts and powerex will work...

A big thumbs up for more substantial, independent outputs on the ERX units. I use them as Lockit/camera guide track receivers and as IFB's. Unfortunately both my units have had to have the 1/8" socket replaced, because they get pulled directly from the PCB inside.

Gabe's mod looks really, really great. I don't think it much of a handicap loosing the functionality of the volume pot. Once you've set the volume for a particular user's preference, you should be good to go for the day. I'll ask around to see if someone in the UK thinks they could do it for me. If the whole camera/sound sync protocol rests upon this socket, why not make it as rugged as can be? Then you don't have to worry about the reliability of it. The power switch is another weak point, which maybe could be replaced by a soft button on the front panel, if there were going to be new version made in the future.

A dab of solder on the contacts works great for fitting Powerex AA's. The 2700mah version last at least a 12 hour day.

TA3? You could maybe try the mod yourself... I think the hesitation is probably due to internal space/circuit board layout. If you were willing to solder the connections yourself and there's room inside the case then I don't see why it couldn't work.

I think you could definitely fit a ta3 in the space of the volume knob, if not in the space of the trs.

I don't mind the 3 pin lemos.  They are expensive, but they are solid and well made.  WAY more reliable than a 3.5mm trs.

TA3 is a good idea.  I'm seriously considering modifying my own TCDs with a more solid connector, but I'm on a show right now, so I don't have the time.  Possibly this winter.