201 vs 211. 401 vs 411.

tong

I'm always mystified by the difference between the lectrosonics 201 and 211, and its next generation 401 and 411.

i now hav a deal for a used pair of 201s which costs cheaper than the pair of 211s. so just like to find out if the difference in performance is worth the difference in cost

Only thing I could add to Scott's assessment is to note that the 201 (and the 401) have built-in whip antennas rather than BNC connectors.  The BNC connectors allow the use of different types of antennas as well as the capability to be used with Lectrosonic's rack-mounted quad boxes or their six-pack.

Also, the 201/401 series is lighter and smaller than the 211/411, and the 201's take only one 9v battery.

Tim

How can you say the noise floor is dead quiet?  What are you testing on?  I use the 400s and the 205s and they both sound the same - noisy!  I've tested with schoeps w/ps1a phantom power box, Sankens, Countryman B6s, Trams, all through a Cooper board and they all hiss like a mother.  I can't wait to get my TX-900AAs (less than a week!)

Dan Izen

How can you say the noise floor is dead quiet?  What are you testing on?  I use the 400s and the 205s and they both sound the same - noisy!  I've tested with schoeps w/ps1a phantom power box, Sankens, Countryman B6s, Trams, all through a Cooper board and they all hiss like a mother.  I can't wait to get my TX-900AAs (less than a week!)

Dan Izen

its your 205's, not the 400 tx's.

ya. it is a pretty cool idea to have a recording feature in a tx. rented 4 units out the past 2 weeks, strictly requested for this added feature.

I can't wait to get my TX-900AAs (less than a week!)

Dan Izen

what freq are your TRX-900 on? When using these units in Europe (block 31, around 800MHz) they are waaaay more noisy then the Lectros. RF is getting back into the mic and you will get a noisefloor like hell. Believe me I have been in trouble with it since I bought that unit. I just stick with it because there is still some hope that some matched DPA lavs will do the trick and as you have said - the rec option is sooo cool.

Matthias

hi. what is this tracking system all about?

Are we talking about the ability to categorise frequencies into different groups so users know what freq not to use together to avoid them interfering with each others work? I think i seen that function on the 411a of a friend's.

thx

To simplify Scott's post, the tracking front end on the 211 and 411 works something like this: the bandpass filter on the front end is only 6MHz wide. It tracks up and down the block, centered on the frequency that is selected. The rejection for signals outside that band is quite good. It helps eliminate interference and make the 1st I.F.'s job much easier. The down side of this tracking front end is that it chews up lots of power. It was first introduced in the UCR200 and 205 models. That is the main reason why batteries couldn't be used in these. The redesign of the circuit from the UCR210 and later brought level of power consumed down so that batteries were able to be used.

the 201 and 401 do not use the tracking front end. The front end of these units are open across the entire 25MHz of the block they are in. Any signal that is present will be passed through to the 1st I.F. The bandwidth of the 1st I.F is very tight and will almost always be able to filter out unwanted signals that would be a cause of interference.

The tracking front end is another layer of protection against intermod and interference getting introduced into the signal path.

David W White

D.W. Sound Service

www.dwsoundservice.com

Or, to throw a real world application into the discussion, the 201s or 401s would not be the best choice for use in a bag system where you also had a pair of transmitters sending a wireless link to camera.

Transmitters in close proximity to a receiver will desensitize it and therefore diminish the usable range.  Having a non-tracking front end would aggravate the situation, so, for instance, if you had a pair of 211s or 411s and a pair of 201s or 401s, then you should use the 01s as the camera receivers and the 11s as the receivers in the bag.  It's still a good idea to position the transmitter as far from the receivers as you can in the bag system.  Also, having the outgoing and incoming signals several blocks apart can help.

In most situations, the results from the 01 systems has been better than even Lectro expected and users have been quite satisfied with them.  If you can afford the 11s, they are worth the expense for the added security in today's crowded RF world, but if the 01s are what fit your budget, you'll probably be well pleased with their performance.

JB

good call John,

a lot of mixers early on were mixing the systems as both camera hops & talent Mic's.

so to reiterate, always use the 411's as yr talent Mic's and the 401's as yr camera hops, for all the well posted descriptions and examples from both DW and JB

good luck.