Tick tick tick tick...

Brian Maier

Yesterday on set I was booming two actors and started hearing this ticking noise.  At first I thought it was one of the actors watches so I asked for it to be removed.  Still hearing the steady tick tick tick I was a little stumped before one of the actors mentioned that he had a artificial heart valve, but had never had a problem with a boom picking it up before.  He said sometimes that lavs did but that could usually be fixed by placing it on the other side of his chest.  Unfotunatly with the time availiable I couldnt really try any other options except moving the mic, which didnt help cause I was still picking it up when micing the other actor 2-3 feet away.  After we wrapped he said that they are pretty common so I was wondering how many of you have had to mic someone with a artificial heart valve?  Is this just something that you had to live with or are there any tricks to dealing with this?  I was using a scheops cmc641, SD 442, SD 744t.

Brian   

I did a doc years ago for HBO about a kid with an artificial heart.  There is a scene in the movie where you hear the director, off screen, ask me to bring the boom mic in and down to the kid's chest.  In comes an MK41 with a Softie down to the kids chest, and you hear is heart loudly clattering away.  After  bit I went back up and the interview continued.  They used the whole take in the film.

Philip Perkins

Where you able to pick up the clicking from your normal booming position or just when you brought the mic down to his chest?  Cause I was able to pick this up just about everywhere in the room.  Most of the responses ive gotten so far on ramps suggest that adding layers is really the only thing you can do to dampen the clickin.  I cant say that I was expecting anything else, just hoping someone had a rabit to pull out of there hat.

• 1 month later...

Guys remember your job is to Record what is actually there and make the Producer/Director award of the results. 

Don't take all the responsibility to make it perfect.  Because then you get no help or understanding and are the dog for the 10% that gets by instead of the 90% that's good.