A fanny pack for those who do not want to wear a fanny pack.

Nick Campbell

I've recently upgraded my bag (from a Petrol PS607 to a PS614) but I still find myself short of room sometimes, either for sound items or personal items I wish to carry with me while working. I'm a fan of messenger bags and have been carrying a Seagull Bags Medium bike bag for awhile. It's awesome, built like a tank, and is hand-made in the US and carries a great warranty. I also use Manhattan Portage bags, but the build-quality on Seagull blows them out of the water. I purchased one of their Tool Bags last year to carry small items while cycling, and have started using it while doing sound jobs.

Here's my bag. If you check the website you'll see how it fits on the body. It has two wide belt loops on the back and I can throw a shirt over it if I want it not visible:

ZnuXqr6.jpg

I usually have it loaded with a mix of personal items and crap I can't fit into my bag or that I want easy access to:

GDA4Atm.jpg

1tQCk77.jpg

2x NP-1's (although I usually just carry one- I put it in to show size), cellphone pouch w/Iphone 4, keys, snus, gum (not pictured)

Strictly audio use:

7JhRGsr.jpg

9WpyGkG.jpg

Countryman mic bag (2 LMWs, 2 backups lavs, Rycote undercovers, clips. I could fit more in here as well), 8x AAs (I use G3s, but Lectro people could easily store a few 9v), medical tape.

The black strap on the front flap (made to put a flashing bike light on) can also hold a wireless transmitter (a G3 clips onto it- I imagine a Lectro/Zax would as well) in case you need to lav someone up quick.

The best part? They're $17 and you can get them in multiple color combos. http://www.seagullbags.com/bags/accessories/toolbag/

Also: I'm not affiliated with or receive anything from Seagull Bags, I just think they make great products and this one has perfectly met my needs without looking dorky, but YMMV.

It is, but it isn't one of the multi-zipper ones that offers smaller spaces and another belt with clip that loosens during the day. And in my opinion, it looks a lot better and is more durable than most fanny packs I've seen. And because of the shape, it will only be/it can go as wide as the items you put in, within reason. If I'm only carting around some batteries and a cellphone it won't have empty compartments hanging off, liable to snag something. Also, if I need to throw in my headphones or some NP-1's it can go accommodate that.

Senator, I'm moving to LA soon and maybe we'll find each other on the same set and I'll shock and awe you with how awesome it is.

The pockets are small and I don't like the way they look, and I don't want another thing with an adjustable belt that clips shut (especially when wearing a harness).

My main objection is because I'm Scottish and two years in North America is not long enough to get accustomed to the differing use of the word "fanny".

But in all seriousness I can tolerate the extra belt complication/looking a little daft myself but I'd be interested in an alternative that allowed for more organised storage of tapes/batts etc.  My MEC bag tends to get into a bit of a mess at times but I definitely work more efficiently with that little bit of extra storage.

I know guys that have gone down the utility belt route but tbh I've found them to be a little bulky and noisy and generally another thing to potentially find its way into recordings if one is not careful...They look pretty cool though. 

I have had this fanny pouch that an old girlfriend bought for me 10 years ago.  It's perfect for a pair of scissors, pen, spare 9V and AA's, tweaker, and phone in the large space.  THen a smaller space for moleskin, topstick, and tape.  She got it at Gap kids and it has a digital camouflage print.  I love the thing.  

There is a company in Philly called Fabric Horse that makes similar bags, as well as utility belts (they are all manufactured here). 

I didn't realize it at the time, but I worked with a person from this company on a TV shoot. Nice crossover of production and bicycles. 

I find that military pouches, or messenger gear, work well for what we can't find via the usual sources.