Ipad 2 Grip for Petrol Bag

Diego Casares

Hi all,

I´m building a bag for doco work where using an Ipad hardwired to Tc out of the 664 as a TC display.

I want this to replace the Betso TCD-1.

I found the app to correct the ipad offset and bought the ambient cable already.

So now the thing is how to grip the ipad to the front of my petrol bag (PEGZ 1). I´m thinking about an ipad case with a female slot in the back side, and sew the male part of the case to the bag.

I´ve seen some iphone cases that works this way. i suppose the point is for gripping the iphone to the car´s dashboard and use it as GPS.

Do any of you know if something like that exists fo the ipad?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great idea. I recently purchased an ipad for this exact system. I use movie-slate with the Timecode plug-in and just leave the Timecode cable plugged in until I need to slate, Movie-slate will hold sync for at least several minutes. Plus you can make awesome sound reports. I use Marware case that has a strap on the back that allows you to use it with one hand. I am sure that I could improve it more. I think I am going to add a little sling to the back of my Porta-Brace bag for stowing the ipad.

I have to ask: isn't a ipad heavier, less sun readable, more fragile and more battery hungry than the betso system?

Yes but:

Ipad is not that heavy,

a good case makes it safe and easy to hold,

I haven't had a problem with sun unless I am in super bright direct sun light (which doesn't happen to me very often),

battery lasts all day. Maybe a quick charge during lunch

Plus, I can generate super detailed sound reports.

All with one device that costs half the price. If you are doing work in the desert or in bright sun use a real slate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

finally i followed Pat´s recommendation and bought a Flex Versatility Kit. Looks good, and seems that the two belt attatchment points are enough for gripping the ipad.

I made some tests at home with moveislate and it worked nice, the display offset is corrected and seems reliable while hardwired. i´m not using unplugged, as i dont trust the internal clock.

What i found interesting is that you can use your iphone/ipod touch as a controller of the ipad´s movieslate , this way you can change the scene and take number in your ipad, making life easier for the editor, but not sure if i will feel comfortable on the set with this set-up as idevices losts it´s connection easily.

Dominique, it´s heavier than a betso, not as much power hungry as i thought, and it´s is nearly as expensive as the betso is (ipad+case+tc cable+movislate app). But as i already owned the ipad and movieslate , it wasn´t such a big amount of money.

What i´m worried about right now is direct sun light. i would try to correct it with an anti-glare. if anyone has a suggestion for this i will appreciate it.

Next week isn´t busy for me and i´m going to make a field test with a cam op/video editor friend of mine. Will let you know about it