664 Bag - other than Pascal's amazing effort......

Ty Ford

• 2 weeks later...

i'd be interested in hearing about other great bags people are actually using for their 664 as well. I'm currently using a modified Petrol PS601 to have a nice, tight rig, but it isn't ideal.

I've tried a PS617, and don't love the fact that it doesn't stand up on it's own, and media was not all that easy to access, I've read that media access isn't that easy with the 664 PortaBrace bags, either. 

Folks seem to love the Kortwich bags... so I'd like to ask... does it stand up on its own when laid flat, and is it easy to access media?

Cheers, 

Rich

I spent a couple of hours with the Camrade bag and the 664 at my local dealer. The bag is not very flexible and it seems only intended for the 664/CL6/mess of 411 receivers combo. I took a pass.

I purchased one of the PortaBrace bags, for the 664 without a CL6, the MXC-664B. It was almost adequate, with a very odd profile and a strange add-on RF multi pouch configuration. I used it for a few weeks before I surrendered gave the Petrol 617 bag a try. It's more substantial than the PortaBrace bag but again laid out for the 664/CL6 combo. It seems like the empty bag weighs quite a bit more than the mixer itself. The flaps with zippers and elastic cords at both connector panels are difficult and annoying. They make media slot access almost impossible if the timecode and the A 10 pin connectors are in use, at least with my arthritic claws. A blade fuse puller helps with CF card access. In my opinion, of the Camrade, the purpose-built PortaBrace case and the Petrol 617, the Petrol is the least bad option.

I'd love to try a Kortwich bag but that doesn't seem a practical choice because of availability here.

There is a PortaBrace audio organizer bag that's evidently laid out for the 664, the AO-4WT. It may prove the most useable of the easily obtained bags, but that will mean I'll have spent nearly a grand just trying to find a bag that works. I'll stop whining now.

Best regards,

Jim

I've been struggling with PS617 myself...

At first I jettisoned the black frame for all the RX's. Didn't seem practical inside the pouch, and like most I dont like that it doesn't stand up on its own!

After rebuilding my cables I decided to mount my RX's in that "frame" but instead of inside the pouch I put it in the main compartment...It was a bit of a struggle to get it in there, but it seems to make it more rigid...and if anything it keeps the edges of the RX's from rubbing on the top of our beautiful mixer!

I bought a PS617 and immediately realize it's not a well designed bag IMO. It has no handles, it doesn't sit up properly, it's too WIDE with the flaps sticking out like wings, the receiver compartment doesn't work well with the zippers on top, access to the CF card is still difficult.

I sold it and went with an old Petrol Pegz-2. Aside from difficulty accessing the cards, everything else fits just right. For smaller gigs, I use the modified PS601 and it works fine.

I'm curious to see the new PB AO-4WT. Hopefully that will be another contender in the search for a good 664 bag.

I bought a PS617 and immediately realize it's not a well designed bag IMO. It has no handles, it doesn't sit up properly, it's too WIDE with the flaps sticking out like wings, the receiver compartment doesn't work well with the zippers on top, access to the CF card is still difficult.

I sold it and went with an old Petrol Pegz-2. Aside from difficulty accessing the cards, everything else fits just right. For smaller gigs, I use the modified PS601 and it works fine.

I'm curious to see the new PB AO-4WT. Hopefully that will be another contender in the search for a good 664 bag.

No handles on the 617was a bit of a deal breaker for me.

R

I tried putting a PB handle on it as well. Not the same and it gets in the way.

It's been working out okay for me. Of course I agree. I wish the handles were part of the bag, and I also am some what disappointed with the design of the 617, but for now it seems to be the best alternative. Perhaps eventually I'll see about modifying my old 552 bag.

Tom