Matt Brodnick

A Set of Wheels (finally)

After a few mods and additions, looks like I'm finally mobile with this bag cart.  The best part is it all folds up into a sedan trunk with ease.  Now if only I can hire a boom op more often...

Thanks to Scott Farr for the folding hand truck  ^_^

j9Oy5mh.jpg

My first cart was a bonehead version of this, with a Nagra and wirelesses on it.  In order to make it less tippy I needed a sandbag on the bottom, and finally got 3 old-fashioned diving weights to use for that (smaller, not susceptible to being grabbed by grips).  I did several movies with that funky cart so I guess it worked ok.   Yours is far more sophisticated.

philp

great job! can you fill me in on how the shelf is attached, and where you got the boom pole grippers?

The boom holders are available from a company called Quick-Fist. The smallest one is a bit small to hold say a Panamic boom so you need the slightly larger size. About $8.50 each

On my version of a bag cart the shelf is attached by using a piece of U shaped aluminium section with the shelf bolted to it.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

post-233-0-64354400-1370590419_thumb.jpg

Lookin good Matt.

Hows the center of gravity? Looks like maybe some tippage without some dirt on the tongue?

It's a bit top heavy, but stable. The shelf adds some weight too. There will be a tub of stuff/batteries or a small sandbag on the bottom lip to smooth things out.  I'm looking into giving it a wider stance though. 

great job! can you fill me in on how the shelf is attached, and where you got the boom pole grippers?

The metal shelf (also provided by Scott) slides on and off the middle bar. I carpeted it myself.  And those boom pole grips are Quick-Fists (~$10 a pair).  The "standard" size is perfect. They're very heavy duty and once the pole is snug, it's not going anywhere. 

This is my tippy little hand-truck cart sometime around 1981 or so.  Mixer and home-made moni/distro

on top, wireless RX in the black box @ back, Nagra on middle shelf (w/ Coherent Communications TC module attached to the bottom), acc.s in camera bag on lower shelf, battery/PSU on the bottom.   It had the advantage of taking up very little floor space, but was a little scary to move over rough terrain.

philp

post-17-0-14389400-1370923091_thumb.jpg

Nice! I don't know what it was called, but there was a thread with a lot of pictures of a similar cart Jeff Wexler made a while back. They did something to the bottom for stability.... you could even add a snowmobile battery as useful ballast. 

Nice! I don't know what it was called, but there was a thread with a lot of pictures of a similar cart Jeff Wexler made a while back. They did something to the bottom for stability.... you could even add a snowmobile battery as useful ballast. 

Yeah I'm looking into ways of widening the bottom lip for more stability, kind of like Jeff's bag cart.  I now have a Pelican of stuff strapped to the bottom which gives it just enough weight to keep things steady. 

vA4VVQo.jpg

Diamond plate steel, drill on slow speed to put holes in the plate and tongue, short flat bolts and the thinnest nuts available or do some welding, grinder for corners. You can do it!

Yeah I'm looking into ways of widening the bottom lip for more stability, kind of like Jeff's bag cart.  I now have a Pelican of stuff strapped to the bottom which gives it just enough weight to keep things steady. 

vA4VVQo.jpg

This looks great trying to look for a simple clean solution like this as well! Nice work.

Pure speculation here, but you appear to have the 14" by 7.5" nose. Magliner makes them as big as 20" by 12", folding ones excluded, for $55.  

http://www.magliner.com/extruded-aluminum-nose-flush-mount

On 6/7/2013 at 4:48 PM, Matt Brodnick said:

The metal shelf (also provided by Scott) slides on and off the middle bar. I carpeted it myself.  

this is a cart just found on Amazon https://www.amazon.it/Einhell-2260112-BT-HT-Carrello-Alluminio/dp/B001GU6FYI/ref=asc_df_B001GU6FYI/?tag=googshopit-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=90691205220&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18416911368194123046&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1008561&hvtargid=pla-125639288715&psc=1

I want to attach the shelf without to lose the extractable functionality, folding the shelf I would lose it. Any advise?

35 minutes ago, alidav said:

I bought that same cart several years ago. The main attraction was the small size and folding front nose. It is not heavily built and I would not recommend it for daily use. The wheels are quite small and made of hard plastic. 1 out of 5 stars, imo

11 hours ago, ronmac said:

I bought that same cart several years ago. The main attraction was the small size and folding front nose. It is not heavily built and I would not recommend it for daily use. The wheels are quite small and made of hard plastic. 1 out of 5 stars, imo

I would have changed the wheels with bigger, but I am quite worried about weight and stability.