Which MS stereo solution?

Herbert Verdino

• 1 year later...

I am using now a MKH60 or 50 + MKH 30. But without the Floater it is impossible to boom. It works ok. The only problem is, that when the wind is strong, the whole basket is bouncing bouncing around, because of the Floater. But this happens only at strong wind. I also can easily upgrade the system to a double MS system. See the picture

post-7409-0-88757700-1429899354_thumb.jp

No, I have not tried Cinela. I was writing an e mail to them and they told me, that combination of mkh 60 + 30 is to heavy for there products. But I can imagine, that the Cinela solutions are better, because also the basked is shock absorbing mounted. A friend of mine uses a double MS combo with MKH 8060 + 8040 + Neumann KM 120 as fig. 8 in an Rycote Cyclone, where the basked is also shock proof. Ad his very happy with this rig!

Wow nice combo Grant !

Herbert, I would ask Philippe Chenevez (Cinela) again, they have made some new suspension and upgrade kits,

maybe it's yet possible to put a mkh60+30 in a Piano.

They built also custom-made and are so helpful and nice people!

I can just say that since i'm worked with Cinela's suspension and Blimp i feel free like never by booming

and the wind when it is audible than it sounds just nice!

For me unthinkable to go back to other systems.

Try it is to adopt !

Wow nice combo Grant !

Herbert, I would ask Philippe Chenevez (Cinela) again, they have made some new suspension and upgrade kits,

maybe it's yet possible to put a mkh60+30 in a Piano.

They built also custom-made and are so helpful and nice people!

I can just say that since i'm worked with Cinela's suspension and Blimp i feel free like never by booming

and the wind when it is audible than it sounds just nice!

For me unthinkable to go back to other systems.

Try it is to adopt !

Should have noted that it's just a size comparison picture.

I have a sanken cs-1 in the top rycote (old school 416 blimp)

Rycote stereo AE blimp (no longer used, was for my m/s 40 or 50/30)

Cinela pianissimo, currently housing my m/s kit

mkh50 with sennheiser mount/ rycote ballgag.

My local dealer sorted out the cinela m/s for me, even with the exchange rate it wasn't a lot more then the alternative, only around 20% more. Or, 3-4hrs work..

I have not much experiance with Cinela products. Can the basked ease be removed, when you use the system indors? The nice thing about the Rycote systems is, that you can just slip the basced away and you have a suspension, that is not much bigger, than the mics.

As I understand the Cinela system, It is not possible to just remove the basket, and use the suspension without it?

can't comment on the pianissimo system, but I've been using the zephyx for my ccm41/ccm8 ms set for 2 years now and have to say I am really impressed: handling noise down to a minimum and almost no acoustic coloration due basket and fur.

don't know how it's done with the piano/pianissimo, but with the zephyx you can remove the basket pretty quickly and just use the suspension for indoor use.

post-10899-0-43062200-1430332236_thumb.j
removing the basket from the Zephyx: 1min.
here with the Schoeps WMS CCM MS Foam
basket is diam.18cm, lenght. 25cm, not big.
for me the best solution for ccm ms
naturaly you can use it without boom,
on a stand or with a handgrip as you like.
I know some radio soundrecordist using the zephyx
and other cinela windshield because of the
acoustic transparency
since 4 years only happiness with the zephyx
on docus
have a look on the Cinela site.

I have sanken css-5. Great mic for the convenience of carrying one mic. But the last 2 times I got hired to record ambience i was requested not to use MS. I used ortf mkh8040s.it is a pain to put together. I used 2 invision mounts on a rycote stereo bar.

Also I saw these very cool stereo invision mounts at NAB. I bet they will be cheap.

Pianissimo basket can not be removed but mount can easily be switched out to the e-osix?? for indoor use. I'm waiting on an e-osix so I can switch mics from the pianissimo for interior use easily.

No, the bottom half of the windscreen is attached to the mount.

The cover is transparent enough that you won't even know it's on.

cinela_pianissimo_support.jpgcinela_pianissimo_fabric.jpgcinela_pianissimo_cage.jpg

• 3 years later...

sorry to resume this old thread,  I have a mkh40 and 30 in a Rycote WS kit, the 2 mics are great for ambient effects, but used it also for outdoor orchestras and other music stuff, what if need now is to record a motorbike passing with 2 people from left to right and need to get the motorbike focused and eventually to get the driver and passenger chatting to each indistinctly, would you use an mkh 416  as Mid?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone use the Cinela LEO-20-MS? What suspension would you use with this windshield? If yes, could you post some images of this setup, please?

And btw, the Sanken CMS-10 you can get with the M/S-matrix out. There is also a switchable version between L/R and M/S out. It's a great mic, I have it since years and love the sound quality, as well as the size and weight. And I love the fact that both capsules are simply in one body.