Which MS stereo solution?

Herbert Verdino

I'm hardly qualified to be among this august group, but as a mere amateur, I discovered a good solution for myself. After hearing (however not trying) that the Sennheiser MkH 418 had noisy side mics, I found an inexpensive used Sony ECM-680s. It has a fixed Mid-side, which of course can be decoded and re-encoded in post. Meanwhile, it sounds wonderful to my ears. Quiet sides and a center mic that rivals my Sennheiser MkH 415. I use it to collect audio b-roll for my podcast, but I was surprised how good it sounds and I find myself grabbing in for a lot of things, more than I expected.   

Oh yes, it's very light and fits easily into my Rycote blimp and a super softie, but my favorite is a Gutmann Windshield that in all but heavy wind, does a great job and is overall transparent. I do use a Rycote holder with a boom or pistol grip.  

Hi Kevin, 

interesting about the Sony mic, thanks for the input.

I'm also curious about the Gutmann wind protection, do you mean this one, or a larger wind shield?

s-l1600.jpg

On 6/24/2018 at 7:26 PM, Kevin Sinnott said:

my favorite is a Gutmann Windshield that in all but heavy wind, does a great job and is overall transparent. 

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

Hi Kevin, 

interesting about the Sony mic, thanks for the input.

I'm also curious about the Gutmann wind protection, do you mean this one, or a larger wind shield?

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Chris, Yes, that's the one. It's flimsy, but surprisingly effective.