New Mac Pro..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A list of Apple worst products and biggest failures :)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/apples-worst-products-and-biggest-failures/

Microsoft has a far longer list. I heard a terrific podcast some months back where they had the soundbites for the Top 10 Stupid Things Steve Ballmer Ever Said. Among them...

"Apple is stupid for getting into the music business... nobody will pay to buy MP3's online."

"There's already too many MP3 players on the market. There's no way the iPod can succeed."

"Nokia and Motorola own the cellphone business. There's no way Apple can compete with their iPhone."

"We tried a tablet PC ten years ago. Apple is crazy if they think they can make any money from the iPad."

"Nobody will want to watch movies on a small screen." 

(Come to think of it, even Steve Jobs said the latter!)

It goes on and on. No question, though, Apple has had some huge failures, even under Jobs. The Macintosh Cube was terrible, and (before Jobs) the Newton was a huge failure -- a good idea much too soon. 

I don't think any technologically great company can succeed without sometimes taking great risks, and when you take a risk, there's always a chance you'll fail. In the 30-year history of Apple, I think they've generally learned from their failures, and users ultimately benefitted from that. 

It's going to come down to $$$ (No price has been announced yet)

If they can "wow" everyone with an amazing price, then they will sell like hotcakes.  If it's extremely expensive, I bet a lot of folks will keep gravitating towards the iMacs as I've had a few editor friends whom have done just that since they are quick enough and priced right.

Didn't the early iMacs have 75% drive failure rate due to heat and had to be redesigned?

Never of heard that problem. I've never heard of any computer having a 75% failure rate. We ran a bunch of those old iMacs in a dusty college radio station 24/7 in the control rooms for 5+ years till we upgraded them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-1384-0-07151500-1373563358_thumb.jpAs someone who has a couple of Mac Pros "at the office" amongst other Apple hardware, I think the "new" Mac Pro is an interesting, if decidedly unorthodox, take on what a modern-day workstation should be for the average "power user."

While I was initially dismayed by the lack of additional PCIe slots and the choice to limit the external busses to Thundebolt's 20Gb/s - thinking more about how we've been using hardware in the past year, it doesn't seem to be such a bad choice.

One thing I especially like is the ability to take good hardware on the road, like an AJA IoXT which can now work in the office and on location. Or, more importantly for me, the ability to use my Thunderbolt SSD arrays on my workstation for my sample libraries. On a business-expense front, we can share certain hardware in a way that difficult before since expansion was PCIe and not at all portable.

But I won't be putting the other Mac Pros on sale even if we pick one of these new ones up... they're still working just fine.

I even wrote about it at great length (the Mac Pros and my small business) if anyone is interested: http://slrdwrds.shiftfocus.ca/2013/07/09/mac-pros-past-present-future-vs-the-small-business/

I did hear a great point that this machine is small enough for airline carry-on. It would fit in a Pelican 1510 or smaller. Maybe even one of those camera backpacks. I've watched people trying to bring a Mac Pro cheese grater to sets and that's a mess of giant cases that don't fit in some cars. I can imagine the fees for oversized luggage stink too. Same for DITs that build carts to contain the old tower, this will be a huge improvement.

So, you make some people upset and make others really happy. The needs of a pro user are as varied as those of a "sound mixer". This is a prime example of why we are lucky to have a few top level companies to choose gear from.

• 1 year later...