Schoeps CMR - Use your MK Capsule with a Lectrosonics Bodypack Transmitter with a Single Cable.

Chris Durfy

I posted this on my blog today. You are welcome to check out the post with all the pictures attached if you like here or read below: 

----------------------------------------

dsc_0531.jpg

I recently got a Schoeps CMR. It is a single cable solution for connecting a bodypack to a Schoeps MK series capsule. 

I'd like to start off by saying that if you love the sound of the Schoeps Modular MK series capsules as much as I do, and also use them for your primary plant microphones (in cars, on desks, etc.) you will LOVE what this product does! 

There were two ways (before the CMR) that we would use the Schoeps as a plant with the following chain of gear:

Plug-on Transmitter:  

• MK41 Capsule > GVC Swivel > Colette Cable > CMC6U Power-supply > Plug-on Transmitter

A fairly straight forward process and fairly simple chain of five pieces.

Bodypack Transmitter 

• MK41 Capsule > GVC Swivel > Colette Cable > CMC6U Power-supply > Denecke P48 Box > XLR to TA-5 Cable > Lectrosonics SMV Transmitter

This works, but it get's more complicated because of the need to introduce phantom power to the mic.  The chain is eight pieces long.

Then you add paper tape & Joe's Sticky Stuff (don't have some? GET IT! Miracle product for plants).

As you can imagine, that can be a lot of different bits to grab, sometimes on a moments notice.

With the Schoeps CMR and the Bodypack Transmitter: 

• MK41 Capsule > GVC Swivel > CMR Cable > Lectrosonics Bodypack.

This cuts the gack in half for bodypacks with a chain of four (or three if you prefer not to use the GVC Swivel). 

How does it work? Are there tiny German unicorns on a miniature hamster wheel stirring up the phantom juices to make this amazing product work?

No, but that does paint a nice picture! (Bonus points for whoever actually PAINTS this picture, I'll attach it to the blog.)

According to the manufacturer about the CMR:

• low power consumption: only about 1/20 to 1/48 that of a phantom-powered microphone

So, it seems they have found a way to use the small current that the Lectrosonics bodypacks output (that can also power a Sanken CUB-01 for example) and use it to power the mk41 capsule.

The Downside?

Are there any downfalls? Well, like all things, the Schoeps name does not come cheap. I've seen it retail for between $659 and $770. It may sound like a lot to pay, but when you consider you don't need a expensive CMC6 to power the capsule when used as a plant, it is a pretty good deal and greatly simplifies a way to get that sweet Schoeps sound!

The CMR will NOT work with the CUT1, but does work with the DZC- pad and GVC swivel.

It will also not work with Zaxcom Transmitters.

Also, it is a little bit bigger at the connection to the capsule than a Colette, but considering everything in the chain that it eliminates, this is negligible. 

Conclusion:

That being said, I've already put it into play on set. The CMR worked like a charm. I'm sold!

Notes:

Some information about the CMR I found at Posthorn:

** For Sennheiser SK50 transmitters, the CMR must be ordered with the termination installed by Schoeps. It is only available with a 2 meter cable. We do recommend that all terminations are installed by Schoeps. Schoeps has confirmed compatibility with current and legacy Lectrosonics (TA5F) models, Audio Ltd. and Sennheiser SK 50. Other connector terminations available as a special order - exact wireless brand and model info is required. The Schoeps CMR will NOT work with known Zaxcom transmitters or the Sennheiser EW Series. The CMR also will NOT work with Colette Active accessories (e.g. CUT1, KC 5g) or the BLM 03 Cg. A DZC- pad or GVC swivel are the exceptions and can be used.

THANKS!

The Schoeps CMR was courtesy of Scott Bolland of Redding Audio & Christina Zofia Wittich of Gotham Sound. Many thanks!

It only has to take 4 volts to 12 volts --- DC to DC converter and proper circuitry can accomplish this. The pisser for me is that it won't work with Zaxcom transmitters because the Zaxcom transmitters operate at lower voltage and can only supply 3 volts, I believe, at the connector. This is also true for two of the model line ups from Sennheiser. Lectro users who already love the Schoeps, this is gold. One of the things I missed most when I stopped using the Audio, Ltd. wireless was the simple vDb powering cable that supplied a full 48 volts to standard CMC-5 or CMC-6 Schoeps. The cable was able to do this with the Audio, Ltds because the transmitter used a 9 volts battery.

I rebuilt a body CMC 3/5 that had been converted to 12 volt T by the CBC. On the schoeps schematic pin 3 of the capsule gets 60 volts. I had to buy a special meter to set the voltage, as there can be no loading from the meter.

Email from Schoeps.

"the one in the middle ( talking about the adjustments) of the oscillator is for the polarization voltage which should be 59 VDC BUT (,) it MUST be measured with a voltage meter with an input resistance of about 1Giga-Ohm. Standard measuring equipment with 10 Meg-Ohm input resistance will produce totally wrong values."

So my guess is there is 60 volts using a bc 414 to get it there. I should scan the schematic and we should put it somewhere on this site for future reference, unless copywrite is an issue?

It would appear all MK series capsules get 60 volts. That's why it's important to keep the threads clean, as they shield this fairly high voltage.

I'm now living in Ontario Canada if anybody wants the old tube 1Gig meter, so you too can take one reading with it, it's getting tossed out of my storage in Burnaby B.C. In August. Local pick up only.

Hi all!

I've been using the CMR as a plant mic for years now and love the convenience and the size of it. I keep my CMR in a Cinela OSIX CCM-LU suspension I've modified with a Dremel to remove the XLR holder and usually set it up on a Schoeps miniature table stand.

Maybe I'll try to modify a Cinela MINIX to size it down even more.

The Downside?

Are there any downfalls?

If you plan on using the CMR with a Lectro transmitter (my SMV's and SMQV's are on blocks 20, 25 and 26), you have to make sure the CMR's cable doesn't run in parallel with the transmitter's antenna or it'll pick-up interference from the transmitter - this sounds like a high-pitched hiss or whine.

post-1504-0-77903900-1371196790_thumb.jp

Have you tried on a boom pole ?

Masaki

Right, this could be a great new way for wireless boom, and a very light one, too. MK41 into CMR to a Lectro TX in an Ambient QWB holder on the top of the boom. Looks like a good solution... and could be converted back to a cabled 48V solution with an Ambient Eumel adaptor. Not sure if there would be a downside (speaking of sound quality) to this last combo compared to a MK41/CMC6 - any ideas?

It only has to take 4 volts to 12 volts --- DC to DC converter and proper circuitry can accomplish this. The pisser for me is that it won't work with Zaxcom transmitters because the Zaxcom transmitters operate at lower voltage and can only supply 3 volts, I believe, at the connector. This is also true for two of the model line ups from Sennheiser. Lectro users who already love the Schoeps, this is gold. One of the things I missed most when I stopped using the Audio, Ltd. wireless was the simple vDb powering cable that supplied a full 48 volts to standard CMC-5 or CMC-6 Schoeps. The cable was able to do this with the Audio, Ltds because the transmitter used a 9 volts battery.

The CMR is nothing new - it has been around for a number of years and great if you have Colette capsules and the required 4v at the transmitter. A very economic way of powering your 48v mics (and 12v and T power) - and might interest you Jeff - is the Ambient UMP-II    http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/mic-power-supply/ump-ii.html   Clearly not as compact as a Schoeps CMR but I use it for my CMITs and CCM41s on the boom with SMdB (SMqV in the States?) transmitters. It is very light - the 2 x AA and the mini XLRs being most of the weight and is a similar section to the Lectro transmitters. Should work just as well with the Zaxcom. £200 in the UK which converts to $315.

Tim

I've tried the UMP-II with TRX900 transmitter pluging a CMC6-MK41.

Probably my home made cable has something to do but you hear a High frequency injected to the signal chain, I have to do further test with some capacitor connected inside the Lemo plug as explained on manual, but that I didn't. Soldering a couple of capacitor inside a tiny Lemo plug is a pain, I wouldlike to find other solution.

(By the way, this box works very well with Lectro transmitter).

There's another phantom power box, one from Areitec that I don't tested yet:

http://www.areitec.fr/areitec-pico48-phantom-power-adaptor-zaxcom-wireless-produit-395.html

This one is rather pricy but include a high quality Lundahl transformer, which means the signal pass is isolated from transmitter's AM modulation RFI.

The only negative side for me, it runs with a 9V battery, not a LR06 (now my hole setup uses no 9V, only a couple of LR06 type battery and NP1).

Can be a smaller setup than a TRX742 type transmitter with integraded boom mount.

That is to say, I wonder if Schoeps can now make a shorter CMC body with planty of SMD circuit...

(They make CCM series, why can't they make...? as Sennheiser or DPA now have a shorter body on ther catalogue)

- long time Schoeps' (unfortunately unbalanced) active cable user

Masaki

- and might interest you Jeff - is the Ambient UMP-II    http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/mic-power-supply/ump-ii.html   Clearly not as compact as a Schoeps CMR but I use it for my CMITs and CCM41s on the boom with SMdB (SMqV in the States?) transmitters. It is very light - the 2 x AA and the mini XLRs being most of the weight and is a similar section to the Lectro transmitters. Should work just as well with the Zaxcom. £200 in the UK which converts to $315.

Tim

I have used the UMP, an older one, and looked at the UMP-II, but there was still hope that something would come along that would be very much like the wonderful vDb powering cable I used for years and years with my Audio, Ltd. transmitters. The Schoeps solution for the CCM was promising until the statements were made that it would not work with Zaxcom transmitters and some models from Sennheiser. Masaki seems to be saying that he has tried it with TRX-900 (bodypack from Zaxcom) but encountered whine (probably AM RF interference). I think the bigger problem will be supply voltage --- I don't think you can get the necessary 4 vdc out of the Zaxcom bodypack transmitters.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for revisiting this but as someone tried the following:

Using a Schoeps capsule ( for example a MK41 ) connected into a CMR cable terminated for a wireless transmitter ( for example a Lectrosonics SMV ) and then used an Ambient EMP-II ( eumel adapter ) into a mixer? Meaning starting at 48v phantom power ( on the mixer end ) converting to 5v bias ( at the Ambient adapter ) then back up to 12v with the CMR?

I am asking since I would like to know if I could occasionally use a Cmr wired capsule as a wired microphone ( boom or plant ) and not just as a wireless microphone.

Thank you.

I thought about that too, Pascal. However when hardwiring my DPA 4060s with the Eumel 48v adapter I noticed higher noise level than with a transmitter. So one should test that first. For now I went with the CMC6 and the kortwich 48 box which runs on a 9v and is smaller than the ump. Works great.

http://filmtontechnik.de/shop/Stromversorgung/Kortwich-Loesungen/Speiseteil-KORTWICH-48-V-PH-oxid.html

Hi all!

A few years ago I've built a 48V phantom adapter for the Schoeps CMR in order to use it with a figure-of-eight capsule in an MS setup.

Before that, I tried various phantom adapters from Sanken and Audio Technica, but they all gave me an intolerable amount of hiss. So I built this one, which fits quite nicely into a Neutrik XLR plug.

I found the schematics at the excellent www.taperssection.com community's DIY forum.

The CMR is an unbalanced device like any other 3-wire lav mic such as a Sanken COS-11, with a ground wire, a signal wire and a bias voltage wire.

If I remember well, the C2 and C3 capacitors filter out the phantom voltage and can be very small SMD tantalum capacitors. C1 and R3 form a voltage divider to bring the 48V phantom voltage down to 9V. The R1, R2 and 1.2k resistors are there to provide satisfactory impedances to the inputs and outputs of the circuit.

In several tests I found out that the higher the voltage, the less hiss you get. This circuit feeds something around 9V to the CMR, which is still OK according to the CMR's specs.

In the schematics, the XLR M on the right side is the 48V input and the XLR F on the left side is the input of the CMR. Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is the signal and pin 3 is the bias voltage. Sorry, can't remember the colours of the wires on the CMR side.

post-1504-0-55141700-1409800814_thumb.gi