Sad News

John Steigerwald

I don't want to be a Debbie-downer, but I have also been personally affected by an automobile "accident", and that term could be no further from the truth.  There are no auto "accidents", just carelessness and selfishness.

Hang up the phone, keep your eyes on the road, slow the f**k down and pay attention to what you are doing.

Another senseless and preventable loss :(

-JP

I don't want to be a Debbie-downer, but I have also been personally affected by an automobile "accident", and that term could be no further from the truth.  There are no auto "accidents", just carelessness and selfishness.

Yeah, I don't want to indicate any blame until all the facts are in, but he was driving home from set, fell asleep and ran into a tree.

Never should have happened.

The camera operator I was working with today told me this news (I just now saw this post) and it shook me to the core.  Such a senseless tragedy.  It's been over a year since I worked with Keoni and I knew him only as a co-worker, but what an amazing guy.  Every so often you meet someone who just radiates a love of life and an ability to live fully in the moment.  Keoni was that guy.  He also really nailed that combination of being a full-on, hard-working pro and a relaxed, good-natured dude, always a smile on his face.  My heart goes out to his loved ones.

We've talked about it before with Haskell Wexler's film leading the discussion, but this should be a reminder to all of us of the dangers of driving sleep-deprived.  I nearly died myself this way 20+ years ago driving my parents car from home in Ohio to college in Wisconsin.  I felt I dodged a bullet that day and now I take no risks in that department.  Pull over and sleep.  Whatever it takes.

Peace,

PG

Hey Paul, if you or anyone you know wants to go, there's a service Sunday.

UASYYINIEYPLIJECPHKR.jpg

Host: Keoni Memorial Sunday

Westward Beach Road, Malibu, CA US

When: Sunday, April 6, 11:00AM

Please join us in remembering and celebrating the life of Keoni Kai Lucas. A ceremony will be held at the southern most point of Westward Beach, lifeguard stand #1, at 11 am. Drive to the southern most point of Westward Beach Road and into the paid parking lot. Tell the attendant that you are there for the memorial and parking will be $1. Carpooling is suggested as parking is limited. You are welcome to bring a floral offering. Attire is Aloha-wear/ beach casual. Bring a towel or blanket if you wish to sit. Following the memorial there will be a gathering at Dukes in Malibu from 2pm-6pm in the Moana Room. There will be pupus and an opportunity to share stories and memories about Keoni. Dukes Restaurant is located at 21150 Pacific Coast Hwy, parking is $3. Please forward this Evite to anyone that we missed. All are welcome. Services will be held in Hawaii at a later date.