Social skills of the Sound Mixer

David Stevens

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2015 at 11:04 PM, Jan McL said:

Stuck to that bolded rule my entire career. It's a 'lead-by-example' thing.

Not too long ago decided that my invisibility strategy was not making me the memorable sound mixer my career needed me to be, so continue to develop and deploy quietly-delivered memorable moments. Difficult to be visible/vulnerable, but there it is.

Tips on how you have quietly delivered but memorable moments?

Some A/C's know how and have skill and patience

Some have no idea at all with menus

Their priority is getting the camera up and running and then

the DP is calling for the camera and a lens

Even worse when sound is called later (to prevent overtime)

mike

On 4/16/2018 at 8:17 AM, IronFilm said:

Tips on how you have quietly delivered but memorable moments?

To the DP who ran back onto the dark INT set we'd just vacated thinking he was alone and bashed a 4-bank Kino near me I whispered, "I'm going to walk around the block now. When I get back please let me know if this is an aberration or a character flaw." Haven't worked with him since because his not answering my question was the answer.

To the dirty old man who deliberately and repeatedly brushed his arm against my breast while wiring him as I held his hand ever more tightly, "Do that again and I'll break your f'ing finger."

To the gaffer whose rigging team placed the genny tractor right out of frame of our EXT NIGHT dialog set, "If I was a guy, I'd punch you in the nose for that."

To the director after it was clear he was going wide and tight on a very sensitive scene, I galloomphed across the big front lawn waving this white flag. Showed the flag, placed it in his hand and galloomphed back to the cart.

Like that. Dunno how these sentences arrive in my brain or more curiously come out of my mouth. Suspect those many years trying and failing to be a successful professional poet serve me somehow.

matching headroom norris trew wide.JPG

matching headroom norris trew close.JPG

matching headroom ftw chris durfy copy.jpg

matching headroom ftw Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 6.45.50 AM.png

Hi Jan..... trying and succeeding in being a poet, a wit, a mentor, an inspiration, and an all round cool dame. Actually.... it has a good ring to it.... Dame Jan McLaughlin - I shall have a word with the powers that be over here now ;-)

Simon B

22 hours ago, mikewest said:

Some A/C's know how and have skill and patience

Some have no idea at all with menus

Yeah, I was asking for something to be displayed from the camera today and the AC (& DP) was telling me it wasn't possible at all. Which is odd, as the last few days I'd been working on another different production with the same camera and they could?!

22 hours ago, mikewest said:

Even worse when sound is called later (to prevent overtime)

On one hand it is nice to get a few extra minutes of sleep, on the other side it is darn annoying spending the whole day running a bit behind.