need a batch dither program for poly bwav

RadoStefanov

on a PC Wavelab and Soundforge both have batch converters with the appropriate plugins with a choice of dithers to do exactly what you want.

i think you can even download a demo version of Soundforge 10 that will do it for you... no cost:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/soundforge

on the mac try Barbabatch (not sure if it can do poly) or Wavelab...

if you have got Pro Tools you can just select all the regions you want to convert on the timeline and export them accordingly making sure your dither options have been set properly.

if you choose  Wavelab or Soundforge you need to know the software to get it to do what you want as neither of them are batch-converter-only apps...

hope this helps you.. but someone else might know of a piece of simple software that does only what you want without having to learn the steps needed with the above systems.

Audiofile Engineering have a program called Sample Manager that uses the iZotope. It does a lot of batch functions and I've used it for several years without any issues at all.

From the Sample Manager page

".....Sample Manager incorporates iZotope's industry best 64-bit SRC™ and MBIT+™ dither. We also have incorporated iZotope's SonicFit™ time/pitch technology. This ensures that Wave Editor delivers the highest fidelity and the best value on the market...."

You can run the trial for 15 days and that may actuall get your job done. But I think you may need to also get the add-on 'Action Pack' for iZotope's  MBIT+ ($19.99)

Sample Manager costst $79 and is the cheapest way to get the MBIT+ dither.  Also have a look here at the comparison between SRC Algorithms Information about the graphs can be found under the 'Help' section f the page

Lots of useful suggestions but which retain the timecode and metadata? We are a niche market in that respect, not taken much notice of by software producers, it's a constant stumbling block as far as I can see. Even Pro Tools is clumsy in it's handling of spot timecode and metadata and doesn't do batches.

It's a shame as it seems it wouldn't take much extra effort to make it all work properly, but then I'm not a software writer. Do I intend to become one? Probably not!.......

Can Sound Devices be persuaded to develop Wave Agent (one of the closest) in to the comprehensive tool we all need? Again on a track record of several years snails pace development probably not!.........

Of course, not that one should not be grateful for the free Wave Agent software

but one cannot help think about somehow finding the means to fund it's development.

Who has actually written it so far? Can we have a whip round for them? :)

I'd prefer for Sound Devices to stay focused on developing recorders. But I'd say the guy/company who developed the BWF widget would be in great position to add such function to theur software. They certainly know about Timecode and other Metadata

Sorry no idea whether hardware and software development are mutually exclusive for focus within Sound Devices and maybe you don't either?

Courtney is certainly very knowledgeable but I guess he's busy, not interested, not worth his while, and as far as I know he's not interested in developing for Mac.

Sorry no idea whether hardware and software development are mutually exclusive for focus within Sound Devices and maybe you don't either?

No, I don't know. But I do know that they don't have endless amounts of money to spend. So maybe I should've said that they shouldn't spend more money on it that would be better spent on recorder development.

I didn't realize the brief was to find a Mac compatible software. But maybe Courtney is interested? That's also one of the things I don't know

He's on this group, though, isn't he?

I've used Nuendo to handle batch-process functions for a number of years. It has algorithms which emulate the Apogee UV22 dithering function, and you can perform any number of processes within the batch function. Supports any number of file formats, including BWF-Poly with timecode stamps. Much less cumbersome to use than Pro Tools for this purpose.

--S

I've used Nuendo to handle batch-process functions for a number of years. It has algorithms which emulate the Apogee UV22 dithering function, and you can perform any number of processes within the batch function. Supports any number of file formats, including BWF-Poly with timecode stamps. Much less cumbersome to use than Pro Tools for this purpose.

--S

+1

forgot to mention Nuendo as i havent used it for a couple of years but, yes, it certainly handles this sort of job way better than Pro Tools.

--S

Thanks interesting to know, sounds like the best answer possibly, now if it wasn't so dammed expensive.....!

Or if Mac really is a requirement, get windows on a mac and then of the various windows options mentioned. Way cheaper than Nuendo

But coming back round in a circle which of them retain timecode and full metadata of broadcast wave files when processing ie. 24 bit to 16bit with dither? Any apart from Pro Tools and Nuendo?

I'm guessing it might have something to do with Zaxcom not dithering 16 bit files and that for example Nomad originated files will very likely have timecode and metadata (the OP said bwavs) that will need to be retained, and that of course is my interest in is discussion as I would like a means of dithering Nomad originated files from 24 to 16 bit but it would be essential to me to retain the timecode and metadata, and I'm hoping that is on topic for the OP as well?

Right on the money.

nomad does not have dithering. And so many times I need to deliver 16 bit.

would be nice if zaxconvert offered it.

Audiofile Engineering have a program called Sample Manager that uses the iZotope. It does a lot of batch functions and I've used it for several years without any issues at all.

From the Sample Manager page

".....Sample Manager incorporates iZotope's industry best 64-bit SRC™ and MBIT+™ dither. We also have incorporated iZotope's SonicFit™ time/pitch technology. This ensures that Wave Editor delivers the highest fidelity and the best value on the market...."

You can run the trial for 15 days and that may actuall get your job done. But I think you may need to also get the add-on 'Action Pack' for iZotope's MBIT+ ($19.99)

ISample Manager costst $79 and is the cheapest way to get the MBIT+ dither. Also have a look here at the comparison between SRC Algorithms Information about the graphs can be found under the 'Help' section f the page

does it work with polyphonic files?

Right on the money.

nomad does not have dithering. And so many times I need to deliver 16 bit.

would be nice if zaxconvert offered it.

does it work with polyphonic files?

Just curious, have you compared side by side a dithered and non dithered recording from the nomad? Do you hear the difference? I'm wondering if the difference is large enough to be worth the trouble of ingesting and converting after wrap.

http://wanderingear.net

Actually that is how I found out that a certain show I worked on  is not doing post correctly. I heard a lot of distortion in the low end. Also the dynamic range on the production sound was reduced. After a little investigating and phone calls I found out that my 24 bit files were never treated. They are simply converted to 16 bit final. Having the original audio I did a simple test . I converted a file without and with dithering. The deference was audible.