PRODUCER: 'I've got to have 2nd camera and audio as one'

deep owl

(continued) 2nd camera is patching wireless and wired mic for interviews and in camera mics on location for wild sound on his 5D. He does a lot of 5D shoots this way.

ME: I'd strongly advise against 5D as your main sound recording for interviews...blah blah blah.

No this is not a transcript from an extranormal 'sound vs. producer' cartoon, this is part of the conversation I had yesterday about a decently funded documentary film about to start production.

Now...I do plenty of feeding sound to 5D and telling producers it might be good enough for their project. Often it is just fine for youtube delivery or quick turnaround industrial projects. But when I compare my Nomad tracks to the 5D tracks the 5D stuff lacks response in the low end, sounds harsh in the high end and the signal to noise is a bit less desirable.

It's tough discussing with a producer the limitations of his proposition for a documentary he intends to put on the festival circuit and probably hopes for real distribution via Netflix or something and knowing it's falling on deaf ears. I even suggested they use AT LEAST A ZOOM...sad discussions to have.

It made me create this:

1005148_10151479358225966_1462427359_n.j

it is their movie

Ugh isn't that the truth.  I remember dealing with producers/directors like this back in the film school (and a little bit after) days.  Everyone seemed like a pro at audio on set until confronted with who was responsible for the crummy audio in editorial.

I'd tell them to at least pick up a Tascam DR-40 because at least you'll have 2 xlr inputs (bonus points if you find a stereo mixer so that you can properly control those two channels....)

" yet my (our) name by "Sound Mixer" "

so..?

the important thing: your name by "Pay the order of"

Ha! Loophole.

Anywhome-and-how, I do hear a lot of, ya get what ya pay for, but at the same time, you are the only person who has Sound in consideration. So the biggest issue I see is just getting the producer to understand why he needs it. A lot of convincing I imagine.

It might help to show some examples of your work vs. his.

There is a balance between the quality product you desire and what they offer (their arrogance/ignorance/stubbornness.)

Hope the project gets the quality it deserves and if it is a good subject even more so!