Vilmos LA Times 6/16

old school

For those who know him, and even more important, those that don't, Vilmos says a bunch in a short interview about the art of film craft. It shouldn't take long to read, even for non readers...

CrewC

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-cm-ca-vilmos-zsigmond-conversation-20130616,0,6114921.story

Sorry...

Good story:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-cm-ca-vilmos-zsigmond-conversation-20130616,0,6114921.story

My favorite quote from him:

"I firmly believe that cinematographers keep learning until they die. New movies should look different from the old ones. So I think I'm an expert in lighting, and when too many people start knowing a lot about it, or they think they know a lot, that can be a problem."

Ain't that the truth...

I worked with Vilmos on "Life as a House" in 2000. He is definitely one of great cinematographers. His visual style on that feature was not too sound friendly - but who cares it was Vilmos!

+1 Richard.

I had the pleasure of working with him on the UK end of Heavens Gate.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I hate to tell ya but it'll be Spurs in 7...

Vilmos & his crew, (Dickey & Jerry Deats) could be a handful for sound at times but I always got along with them and was even helped out now and again.;~)  Besides agreeing with most of what Vilmos said in the interview, It was his long time friendship with Laszlo Kovacs and their approach to visualizing a story into a film that impressed me most. That and their wonderful voices. I could and did listen to their stories for hours & hours. I'm so happy he is still working. Like Haskell, work keeps you young going down the road.

CrewC

• 7 months later...