OSX Mavericks And Multi Monitors

nwstudios

so.... did apple run out of cats to name their OS after? I feel like they may have skipped a few...

I think so! For the last couple of years, I've been grumbling "this what happens when Steve Jobs isn't around to stop the idiots from screwing up..."

It does make you wonder what OSX 11 will be like. Maybe they'll use birds -- there's 10,000 species to choose from, which I would expect would be enough for every iteration of OS in the next 100 years.

so.... did apple run out of cats to name their OS after? I feel like they may have skipped a few...

I think the change from cats was symbolic that they are making "big changes" in the OS. I don't know how big they are compared to normal 0.1 upgrades, and anyone that does know anything beyond the keynote is under an NDA.

In the keynote they made some comment about easily having another 10 years of names. I know some people take that as a commitment to OS X. There has been a theory that some day OS X and iOS will merge, at least in terms of the top level UI. It's probably just a matter of time till we have touch screen computers, so some sort of iOS influence makes sense. There are some definite integration advancements and cross pollination, but OS X is still very much a computer OS.

As an OS X user, I was happy with what I saw. I am also liking the new features that work back and forth with iOS.

We had that in 1997! Oh, wait: that was OS 8.0...

BTW, a little-known secret is that the reason why Apple came up with OS 8 was to kill all the Mac clones on the market that were licensed to use OS 7. That was a sad day when that happened.

OS7 was FAST.

I still have macs running os 7 and os 9. if anyone would like to buy one, let me know as I've rescued several from the local dump, that with a new pram battery just spring right back to life.

OS7 was FAST.

Bah! You forget the screen-fulls of 50 or 60 inits and extensions that would have to load every time you reboot. Oh, I don't miss that about Mac OS. 

By the time they hit OS 9.2, it was slow as molasses... depending on how much background crap was going on. I can recall having to use Conflict Catcher to disable most of them when I'd run Pro Tools, just to make the Mac as "lean and mean" as possible. The whole OS got horribly bloated towards the end; OSX -- once it finally worked -- was a breath of fresh air.