Zaxcom Maxx - Here's the latest

Jack Norflus

Thanks for the end user feedback Rado. Read somewhere the pres sound better then the nomad. it could be. Yet to my understanding they are the same as the nomads, right?

Yes as far as I know they are a little different. I did not have the chance to compare.

Also I will be going AES in the unit so will be bypassing the pres. 

I'd buy a Nomad when all announced features were enabled and stable...

You should buy a Nomad, or any product, for what it can do at the time. You shouldn't buy something for what it will / might do in the future.

I have come to realize that writing code and debugging it can take way more time than predicted. Add to that repairing and stabilizing current software can often delay things even further. Nomad is a very stable and capable machine and automix is being worked on and will be a great addition. As far as I know Zaxcom isn't going to give a release date because writing code and testing it can be quick or take a long time - there is just no way to predict. Automix will be release when it is done and stable. If you want a Nomad for what it currently does then you should buy one.

You should buy a Nomad, or any product, for what it can do at the time. You shouldn't buy something for what it will / might do in the future.

I have come to realize that writing code and debugging it can take way more time than predicted. Add to that repairing and stabilizing current software can often delay things even further. Nomad is a very stable and capable machine and automix is being worked on and will be a great addition. As far as I know Zaxcom isn't going to give a release date because writing code and testing it can be quick or take a long time - there is just no way to predict. Automix will be release when it is done and stable. If you want a Nomad for what it currently does then you should buy one.

I definitely agree on the point of 'buy what you need, when you need it'. When i made this statement to Glenn, I didn't need a Nomad, 788T, Deva, 664, whatever. The work I did didn't call for that track count and functionality. I wagered that the work I was doing (or would end up doing) would need a higher track count machine by the time everything announced in Nomad was up and running - and I was right.

So now, I'm looking more purposefully at my options. I have no particular connection to any manufacturer. I'll buy what I think will do what I need it to do, when I need it. Maxx is an option, Nomad is an option, 664 is an option, 788T is an option. Each have pros and cons (and areas where they do too much or not enough for what I need), so the decision making continues.

Link in uses AES input pair 5/6 of Maxx to input an AES output pair from another Maxx or even a Nomad.

So basically it is a way to expand Maxx and give it additional inputs. So you could mix 4 inputs on one Maxx and output it to a second Maxx via AES.

So you could use, say, a MixPre-D to  have two extra analog channels going in. Great. Is the record tracks option available to not record the mix outputs, but set them instead to record Digital In 5 & 6, thus just recording 6 isos, and leave the mix to the camera? That would be a very useful facility for those odd occasions when you have more than 4 isos.

Also, as far as I can see you can link faders for stereo or MSM, but I don't see any mention of MS decoding on 1 & 2. Which is a shame, given that even low price mixers have this function (and presumably a piece of code which Zax already have).

MS decoding is done the same way it is on the Nomad.  You can flip the phase on assignments in the card routing or hp routing pages by pressing the star key before routing.  So if Mid is on track 1 and side is on track 2, you can route track 1 to left and right, and track 2 to left, and track 2 with inverted phase to right.  MS decoded.  Same can be done for routing to tracks to record a decoded signal.