ear plugs recommendations?

Get the Remote Audio High Noise Headphone and keep your monitoring level reasonable!

I have two different SPL meter apps in my iPhone, and if it goes over a certain point, I'll warn the producer and will grab some foam earplugs. It doesn't block everything -- I couldn't do my job if I did that -- but it takes it down to a mild roar. I'm amazed how nonchalant some everyday workers (particularly guys who use jackhammers and air wrenches) aren't aware that they're killing their hearing being around 100dB+ noise levels much of the day.

Westone custom-molded plugs were the best $150 I ever spent. You can wear them ALL DAY LONG comfortably. And the switchable filters allow you to use more or less attenuation to suit the situation.

Of course, for monitoring, the isolation headphones may do the job, but they require a tight fit to get the best attenuation of outside noise, and depending on the model, can get uncomfortable quickly.

Wow, the remote audio seems awesome. However... I'm actually shooting video, not audio at these events. Can you recommend something smaller and more discrete?

They did. 

The Westones are pretty discreet. As are the etymotics. The musician etymotics are designed to reduce the dBA's while still allowing unmuffled frequencies in (not sure how that's accomplished - but it's designed for concert musicians). 

i do a lot of nascar stuff and i use the etymotic er4s models with custom ear mold tips which makes them really small and discrete. i know other dudes on the circuit use the westone in ears as well. the remote audio cans are nice, but they are large and hot on your ears so not a lot of dudes in nascar run those. if you're just wanting to protect your ears, check with local gun ranges for custom molded ear protection. but if you're going to go the custom ear mold route, might as well get in ear monitors so you can double up the usage.

I use etymotic er4b's and they sound only like what your rig sounds like, plus attenuate outside sounds by around 40db and custom molds can make that number go up.

they are wonderful headphones, but not great when you actually WANT to hear someone yelling at you from 2' away....

they work great with the included foam tips, but custom molds are really where it's at.

They did. 

The Westones are pretty discreet. As are the etymotics. The musician etymotics are designed to reduce the dBA's while still allowing unmuffled frequencies in (not sure how that's accomplished - but it's designed for concert musicians). 

FYI, there is a tuned resonator and a an 'acoustic resistor' (basically a diaphragm that is damped) inside the earplug - the resonator is the bit INSIDE the part of the device that sticks out of your ear. This is how it takes external sound and reduces the level without affecting frequency content.

I have a pair of the ER40's and I love them. They do get some weird looks, though...

I use those and they work well (when I'm at a loud concert), but you'd be better off getting isolation from outside and on the inside using earbud style monitors.

for a budget solution to what you need, you should use some earbuds that you are used to the sound of, and then wear these over them:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_12539.jpg

OR headphones that also protect your ears (like what others mentioned: high noise headphones made by remote audio) and you can find those for cheap at hardware stores. 

but when you wear foam earplugs (that are made for construction or wearing at a rock concert) under your headphones, you run the risk of A: damaging you headphone drivers, or B: simply not hearing as much. (or both). 

I use the Remote Audio cans. Yes, they are hot and heavy, but they are very affordable and work. It continues to amaze me how some sound professionals like FOH engineers do not protect their hearing. I worked the Orion Fest earlier this month. Metallica was the headliner/behind the entire event. I had to interact with their FOH engineer for a feed. He does not use hearing protection. I understand they need to hear all the subtle nuances, but man, how can you effectively tell at those excruciating db levels?Several times I think my heart literally skipped a beat due to the bass levels when we were shooting in front of the stage. I had foam earplugs under my high noise cans, and I probably still damaged my hearing. Protect those eardrums at all costs!

I use a model available here in France. It seems very close to the Etymotic. I have the 15 and 25 dB models. In very loud places I put them under my headphone (HD25), then push a little the headphones level.

I really like wearing them, it is as comfortable as sunglasses : in noisy environments you hear better with those earplugs  !

Looking back at the original post, It's a bit vague.

If you are planning on wearing earplugs UNDER normal headphones...well... don't. You would just end up cranking you HP level and that isn't going to do you any good

If you are trying to monitor sound at moderate levels in a high SPL environment, either go with the remote audio option, a high-isolation in-ear (like the Ety ER-4p's), or in-ear's with standard over-the-ear protection on top.

Now, If you're not worried about monitoring sound in this situation, then use whatever ear protection you like.

There are plenty of recommendations to cover each of these scenarios above this post.