This new look

Mick

After having surveyed the site for a few days I must admit I like the old style better. This lack of color, the gray look, is kind of boring. I know it's the content that's important but the old appearance was way more welcoming...warmer. IMO

Mick

Duly noted Mick, and your opinion, as well as others, is certainly important. I am warming up to this new theme but my personal color palette actually runs the full gamut from dark gray to light gray ... so I am not the best indicator. We'll see how it goes and maybe we'll switch back.

-  Jeff Wexler

From everything I have read, the use of a tinted background for text is a good idea and reduces eye strain. This background is a light gray with a hint of green, the last theme was all pure white. Remember way back when there was a trend towards "eye ease" paper which always had slight green tint over the traditional white. All of my notebooks in college had this eye ease color and I think is effective.

-  JW

Top left, third row down @show unread posts since last visit'.

Is that what you are looking for?

sb

FWIW I like the new look. The only thing I miss is the "Read New Post" (or whatever it was) Link. But that is no big deal.

Thanks sb! I completely missed that! I now "officially" like the new look. ;)

The "Show unread posts since last visit" is not too prominent, this is true, and the way the link functions (or does not function) is dependent on other factors: the way in which your browser handles cookies, whether you stay logged in or not, etc. I wish it behaved better (and maybe it does for most) but I find that it often does not take me to new posts --- I just look at the recent post list below to sort it all out.

-  JW

• 2 weeks later...

Scott,

I'm not seeing this on my G-4 tower/Tiger or G-4 Powerbook/Tiger and Safari 3.1.1

I occasionally get an error if I try to log out if I forgot to and walked away long enough for the machine to go to sleep, but re-loading the page seems to fix it.

Best regards,

Jim

P.S. Thanks for all of the great info you pass along.

thanks for the feedback could be something I have done, and your welcome.

After the restart, I did repair disk permissions. Having been boned too many times by forgetting that step, I do it as a matter of course especially after any update from Apple.

The log didn't show any changes, but maybe?

Jim

Jeff I don't know if it because I upgraded to v3.1.1 of Safari or some other factor but when I log into this site I get a lot of errors

I don't have an explanation for the bad behavior from this site. I am running Safari 3.1.1 on most of my machines with no problem, and I also test review the functioning of the forum software on other machines (using older version of Safari, various versions of Firefox, Camino, etc.). It really isn't feasible for me to check up on this with a Windows PC because I don't own one.

Any problems that I have had are usually solved by just reloading the page and at the very worst, having to actually reset Safari. I will do some routine maintenance procedures that I can run on the SMF installation and maybe that will help.

Keep me posted if you (or anyone else for that matter) are having any difficulties.

-  Jeff Wexler

I don't have an explanation for the bad behavior from this site. I am running Safari 3.1.1 on most of my machines with no problem, and I also test review the functioning of the forum software on other machines (using older version of Safari, various versions of Firefox, Camino, etc.). It really isn't feasible for me to check up on this with a Windows PC because I don't own one.

Any problems that I have had are usually solved by just reloading the page and at the very worst, having to actually reset Safari. I will do some routine maintenance procedures that I can run on the SMF installation and maybe that will help.

Keep me posted if you (or anyone else for that matter) are having any difficulties.

-  Jeff Wexler

FWIW: Running IE 7 something on a laptop PC with no problems.

Eric

I noticed the "Modify" & "Delete" option is now time enabled/disabled... How much time do we have to check for typos, broken links or other "errors" within our posts?

It is presently set at 2 hours from the time you make the post. Scott made me aware of the fact that this feature had changed (probably with this new theme) so I manually set the time. Scott seemed to indicate that the old forum allowed modification and deleting indefinitely. Maybe I should see if I can change the time parameter.

-  Jeff Wexler

• 1 month later...

I agree with Keith. Personally speaking I see very little change. Must be my old age. Big fan of jwsound........

CrewC

BTW, get used to saying President Obama. Change is always an evolution, not a revolution. Change is good....

We have been doing it forever.

Thanks for the support (even for my kind of crazy obsession with changing all this stuff). You probably missed some of the changes because I was doing things so quickly, back and forth, it was easy to miss. In any case, we are back to a tried and true look (and function) and as others have pointed out, it's THE PEOPLE and the CONTENT that matters.

Change IS good...  I am actually quite excited and hopeful with the prospect of President Obama. The last time I have been this inspired was JFK...  I don't even want to think about the possibility of another assassination.

-  Jeff Wexler

jeff,

i think the current look is great.  everything is clean and clear and easy to read. 

one request i would make is that the number of posts in the "recent posts" section was longer - maybe even 1 1/2 or twice as long.  for me, it's the easiest way to follow the discussion threads quickly - and when there are days that the number of posts piles up, it's can be easy to miss some of the new topics or responses.

kudos, and as always, great site.

-greg-

one request i would make is that the number of posts in the "recent posts" section was longer - maybe even 1 1/2 or twice as long.

-greg-

The present list has 16 posts displayed. I can make this displayed list as short or as long as I want to. I think that 16 is a good number to look at in one go so that is why I have it set to display 16 most recent item. I did post a navigation tip which could help out: clicking on the icon at the side of the Recent Posts list will give you a full list of all the posts --- not actually a list but the full posts --- which includes the last 100 most recent posts. Let me know if that works for you. I will still consider increasing the number displayed in the present list.

-  JW