Looking for Oldest Sound Devices Product In Use

Next week is our 15th anniversary...holy cow. For some fun, we are looking for the user with the oldest Sound Devices product still in use. That user will get a token of our appreciation.

Since day one, our serial number syntax has remained the same, and it includes the date built. Attached is an example, which happens to be the very first serialized product we ever made, still sealed and sitting on the shelf in the conference room next to the labeled "Sound Devices" box. It was made on the 85th day of 1999, March 26. It was one of several built to be ready for NAB 1999, our first year there.

post-119-0-38793200-1372451158_thumb.jpg

Serial number description:

• first two digits - product code (will definitely be numbers, letters came after we ran out of numbers)
  • second two - product revision
  • next two - year made
  • next three - day of year made
  • next numbers - number made that day

Send a photo of your product and provide the serial number to us at support@sounddevices.com. 

Jon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon, this is ultra-cool! 15 years, good run! The oldest Sound Devices product I still have is a Mix-Pre, but I'm sure it isn't that old in terms of its production date. I had an MP-1 but I gave it to someone who would use it more than me.

Congratulations on the 15th Anniversary for Sound Devices.

Just think if I had started using the very first Sound Devices product when it was produced 15 years ago, I would have already had 28 years in production sound recording...  and of course Eric, that's a whole different story.