Lectro SMQV vs. WM.. user opinions?

Derek H

Hey folks,

I'm looking at both of these transmitters for future needs and I'm wondering if anyone here has used both types enough to form an opinion. The price difference is pretty negligible. At least if you're looking at the regular aluminum WM not the heavier, spendier stainless steel version.

My thoughts/questions about the WM:

- Eventually you need to operate your mics in a wet situation. 

- People sweat.

- Would be nice to never worry about it.

- How much slower is the screw on connector when wiring people. Does the cable get tangled?

- How durable is the WM connector once terminated. Looks like a pain to field service.

- Slower battery change..

- No "silver paste" issue to deal with.

- Can operate on one battery at a time, can hot swap batt changes.

- It's bigger. How much bigger practically speaking and is it really an issue?

- Will it feel heavy on talent?

- Bigger buttons, cool!

Anyway, my main curiosity is, assuming mic compatibility is a non-issue for you, is there any reason not to go all WM?

Thanks,

d

Hey folks,

I'm looking at both of these transmitters for future needs and I'm wondering if anyone here has used both types enough to form an opinion. The price difference is pretty negligible. At least if you're looking at the regular aluminum WM not the heavier, spendier stainless steel version.

My thoughts/questions about the WM:

- People sweat.

- How much slower is the screw on connector when wiring people. Does the cable get tangled?

- How durable is the WM connector once terminated. Looks like a pain to field service.

- Bigger buttons, cool!

Anyway, my main curiosity is, assuming mic compatibility is a non-issue for you, is there any reason not to go all WM?

Thanks,

d

Hi Derek,

Here's a somewhat biased opinion from the Jackass's mouth. I'll put my comments in between your questions. I would like to see comments from real live users. What we think and what our customers think are sometimes poles apart. Larry F

LEF- The SM series are sealed for splashes though the rubber boot is a real pain. The SM's are not immersible, even briefly.

- People sweat.

LEF- We added the Gortex vent to the SM battery door some time ago, eliminating the vacuum pulled when the transmitter cooled on a sweaty body. This has eliminated tiny sweat leaks. We did the same thing to the WM recently because the membrane keypad was bulging when the unit warmed up. That sucker is really airtight.

LEF- The WM is the belt and suspenders version.

LEF- Will be interested in other comments. Pre-turning the cable before screwing it on will really help.

LEF- We have seen one failure of the stainless steel connector shell in thousands of units and it was dropped on concrete from an unusual height. The internal micro plug has no mechanical force on it. The stainless shell puts all stress into the transmitter case through a large thread and keeps the plug from moving in the jack. The only way to repair the microjack is to remove it from the shell, throw the microjack away, clean out the RTV sealant and start over with a new microjack from Switchcraft (Digkey) or us. They are inexpensive.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/67-21357/View-details.html

We sell the repair kits with sealant and everything else including strain release tubings. The kits are not inexpensive but you can repair multiple connectors.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/66-WPMC-3/View-details.html

In sum, if you have the kit on hand, the repair is like wiring up a new 5 pin. The cost is more than the 5 pin overall. The failures we have seen are the usual cable failures at the connector just like on the 5 pins and with cables ripped out of the connector, the same as the 5 pin.

LEF- Yep.

LEF-Nope.

LEF-Yep

LEF- I hate to say it, but "it depends".

LEF- Personally, I've found I don't even notice the stainless version in a pocket and it feels like a small anvil in your hand. I would guess weight is a factor but I'd like to see other comments.

- Bigger buttons, cool!

LEF- One of the advantages of a bigger unit.

Best Biased Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

- People sweat.

LEF- We added the Gortex vent to the SM battery door some time ago, eliminating the vacuum pulled when the transmitter cooled on a sweaty body. This has eliminated tiny sweat leaks. We did the same thing to the WM recently because the membrane keypad was bulging when the unit warmed up. That sucker is really airtight.

Great and useful answers all around. But this one is totally cool. 

I've got a couple WMs that I bought for a gig that seemed like immersion would be likely (never ended up getting soaked).

Now that I've got them, I figure it can't hurt to keep em around. There are some little things that occasionally make me want to swap them out for SMQVs:

First, the connector. The main issue is that my lavs are no longer interchangeable. I got a couple adapters to go from the screw on type to ta5, so that's a workaround.

Second, battery life seems to be not quite as good as my SMQVs. Not a huge difference, but enough to notice.

Last is size. They are bigger for sure.

Also, level settings seem a little different. On the SMQV I may be at 20 for a certain person, and with the WM I'd be at 24 or 25.

Sound quality seems equal.

Hope this helps.

Tom

" assuming mic compatibility is a non-issue for you, is there any reason not to go all WM? "

I'm thinking....

" a couple adapters to go from the screw on type to ta5, so that's a workaround. "

hmmm...

On the SMQV I may be at 20 for a certain person, and with the WM I'd be at 24 or 25."

so ?

Hi Tom,

I'll check out the current draws since they should be the same. The 5 pin to water proof adapter is itself waterproof as far as leaking water into the WM. The 5 pin side will flood of course bit at least if someone falls into the ocean, the transmitter will survive.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro

Have both wms and smqvs. For my work 80% narrative and the rest being reality and doc I much prefer the smqvs.

The wm is great for battery life and when size doesn't matter but I really dislike the connector for it. I purchased the ta5 adapter but still makes it slower to mic people up not as simple as clicking in a ta5 straight in and your also left with a somewhat bulky adapter. With frustrating costumes it can be a pain as its a quite a bit bigger and needs the adapter if you want to use your ta5 lavs. On the plus it's super handy to have and is always satisfying to say I don't mind my tx getting wet and being the hero with the little extra rental rate ;)

You can terminate the lavs to the wm connector but for me the adapter was more cost effective so I could just swap lavs between tx