Boom Recorder via Dante virtual soundcard

I think Scott Harber had Boomrecorder running on his setup at the Dante Seminar. It should work just fine. Boomrecorder is very flexible and is able to "see" almost any interface --- the Dante Virtual Soundcard just looks like a typical hardware interface it is my understanding.

It works well with Boom Recorder, although we had an issue with MetaCorder at 64 tracks.

Depending on your set up, it may be tricky to monitor the "return" from BR or MC - and remember you have to "subscribe" the audio in both directions if you do want to monitor the return.

Peter

Been working fine for me for over 2 years - Yamaha 01v96 with Dante card to and from Boom Recorder via DVSC. I've split the Dante to main and backup computers (using a small gigabit switch) regularly as well. Select which one you want to be the return to the console by recalling  Dante Controller presets (but not while you are recording). If you are using an 01v96, it's best to clock it off the Dante Card (which is the Dante Clock master as well) but clocking the whole thing off wordclock coming into the 01v96 works fine too, coupled with timecode into a BoomRecorder channel. The whole thing works fine with ProTools (limited to 32 channels, of course) as well.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the clocking choice.  Audinate suggests leaving the clocking up to the Dante system itself.  Rather than choosing a "preferred clock master", which is also an available option in the controller.  By letting the Dante system itself choose the master, it searches all the available Dante components and chooses the most stable clock.  That's how I currently have mine running and I can watch the controller, as I unplug and plug in devices, choose the clock master.

P

Regarding the clocking choice.  Audinate suggests leaving the clocking up to the Dante system itself.  Rather than choosing a "preferred clock master", which is also an available option in the controller.  By letting the Dante system itself choose the master, it searches all the available Dante components and chooses the most stable clock.  That's how I currently have mine running and I can watch the controller, as I unplug and plug in devices, choose the clock master.

P

So what ends up being the master clock for your system?  What is the master TC generator?

philp

The Pix ends up being the clock master for the system, at least while I have been watching the Controller lately.  I do not have any device set as Preferred Master, as it seems to cause occasional clocking confusion with my O1V96.  My desk is an older version 2, not the new O1V96i.  It's not supposed to make a difference in the version of O1V, as the card is the one doing all the work...however we have noticed a clocking related performance difference in the two.  The newer desk doesn't seem to mind being set up in a "star" network via router on the primary Dante leg.  The older desk likes to be a home run to the PIX.  

For a Time Code generator/master, I use a Denecke G2 upstream of everything, as the PIX will lose TC after 2 hours of power down and you have to reset everything.

P

• 4 weeks later...

So, let me see if I can, comprehend something..

I have a Pix, 744t, and a 01v96i.   The Dante card that's in the 01v96i is a clock, the 01v96i is another clock, the pix260i is a clock, and the 744t is another clock.  So, there's 4 items that have to be 'clock'd' together, right?

So, on the Yamaha 01v96i settings, you set it to clock to the adat1/2 (for setting to the yamaha board to the Dante card).. then the clock goes over to the pix260 (though Daunte) so no BNC cable needed here.  then you have to run a word clock cable from the 744t to the Yamaha, and that's it, right? 

-Richard

Actually, no.  If you are using the DANTE card in the Yamaha, set your W/C to the ADAT 1/2 of the card.  That will allow the gear on the DANTE system to operate in the manner they are designed.  They all "talk" via the network and the network determines the best device clock to use.  It happens behind the curtain so to speak.  If you are connecting your 744T to the PIX AES I/O, the 744T will clock off the AES.  No need for a word clock cable there.  DON'T connect the W/C out of the 744T into the Yamaha as you will create a potential clock loop and things will get very interesting, in a bad way.

P

• 8 months later...

Patrick,

Here is how I get the Timecode to Boom Recorder. First I use a Denecke GR-1 as my Master TC generator to feed any recording device.

However, I believe you are using the 970 as your TC master; Take the TC out of the 970 (BNC) and connect that to the Analog 1 Input (XLR) of the 970.

You can then route that TC signal (this it what I do) to Channel 32 of the Pix. In Dante Controller you can 'Transmit' Track 32 of the Pix to Track 16 of Boom Recorder.

• 11 months later...

I hooked up a Mac mini last night via Dante to my Ql-1 and recorded 32 tracks overnight. I returned in the morning to find a file over 100gb in size had been recorded via boom recorder. (I overrided the file size limit) I would say VSC works just fine. I'm going to add the mac mini and a small touchscreen monitor to the cart after I do the 12v Mac mini mod, just for when I need a stupid track count.

As for timecode, I'm going to just take the feed from my GR-1 through my remote roll switch, split it off the timecode feed going to movieslate, and route that to 1/8 TRS input of the computer. I'll add that input to the aggregate in OSX audio MIDI setup along with the VSC and not burn a digital channel, while giving remote roll function to the software. LTC can live on boom recorder channel 33 with autoroll function turned on. You must specify in boom recorder preferences to listen for SMPTE/LTC. The timecode can be routed to any track in boom recorder and will be detected automatically. The track does not have to be 'armed'.

I'm going to ask Take Vos to add some metadata shortcut buttons to avoid having to use the keyboard so often, such as in movie slate and on the Deva.

As a side note, I had some fun with OSX. I set the machine to automatically reboot after a power failure, automatically login without a password screen, and automatically launch the VSC software and boom recorder.. Plug it in, and less than a minute later you are just one click away from recording.

Edited by Todd Weaver

As a side note, I had some fun with OSX. I set the machine to automatically reboot after a power failure, automatically login without a password screen, and automatically launch the VSC software and boom recorder.. Plug it in, and less than a minute later you are just one click away from recording.

Very cool.

philp

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Mac mini apart and removed the internal power supply. I put a volt meter on the outputs of the supply removed from the computer and I found four wires for ground and four wires sending +11.9 volts DC. Installed a four pin Hirose connector in old power plug hole and wired that right into the logic board per the pinouts from the old PSU. The touchscreen was an eBay find. It's made by some company called Faytech. It's 10 inch and connects to 12v DC, USB, and HDMI.