Lectro sra to srb upgrade. What's it worth?

dominiquegreffard

In easy situations, there will be no definitive differences. In tough RF situations, the differences will be remarkable. One such case is 4 units in an OctoPack (8 channels) in one block with TV stations eating up some of the 25 MHz, such as block 606 in England. The range difference is night and day. As you add more channels and as we lose more spectrum, the SRa to SRb differences will become even more apparent. Some late SRa's, made several months before we switched to SRb's have most but not all the improvements.

Though Lectro loses money on these conversions, I still say, do the upgrade. The price goes up in 10 days (we lose less) and really climbs at the end of the year (we make money).

Regards,

Snake Oil Fisher

Larry you should receive three of my units this morning.

Little fellas are getting a much earned holiday and TLC with mum and pops.

Looking forward to getting them back and running them through their paces.

Hoping to see a little improved unwanted rf rejection from my Nomad.

In Lectro We Trust.

Just to be clear, you must contact us before the end of July, to schedule an SRa (or SR) to SRb conversion with service; the conversion itself can be performed before the end of September and still qualify for the super bargain basement price of $250. If you contact us after July, the price goes to $375 for conversions done before 2014. In 2014, the price will go back to normal and that is more than triple. For moderate charges, you can also change blocks or change to the SMA antenna inputs from fixed antennas.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

There is only one week left to get the upgrade at the $250 price. I called Lectro on Monday and they said they'd contact me when they'd be ready for me to send in my two SRa's for upgrade.  It's about a 10 day turnaround, they said.  I can send in my SRa's anytime before the last day of September to still get the lower price (as long as you call and make the appointment before the end of July.)

I just got mine back from upgrading by Jerry at Jaycee Communications in Queens, NY (authorized Lectro service company here on the east coast).  He was very quick turning them around, and as I'm local to NYC, I was able to drop them off and pick them up in person a few days apart, saving the shipping and insurance that lectro charged for my first 2 upgrades.  He mentioned that he had several boards ready to go, though all orders need to be placed by the end of the day today to lock in the $250 price.

e.

"Get 'er done."

It's a Hell of a bargain for the improvements you get. At the end of July it will still be a bargain but not so much. At the end of the year, the price will go back to normal and that will be a large fraction of the price of the unit. I can't believe you won't recoup the cost if you sell the units later.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

It bears repeating: Lectrosonics is a class act.

(Kind of the Anti-Red)

Just fired up my newly upgraded block 21 units, and I can safely say that the scans are the cleanest I've ever seen in NYC in the years I've owned them.  I'm not sure how this will affect real-world usage as work is slow this week and I don't have time to do tests for the hell of it, but it sure is making me feel good about getting my 6 units upgraded.

e. 

• 5 years later...