Surviving In The Pro Audio Business

One of the first things I think I need to get into is money. They aren’t going to teach you the real money side of the production world in tech school. The conservatory, Full Sail or wherever…They aren’t going to get into the survival side of it. I spent most of my career broke. It creates a strain on your mind, your wallet and your family. Just want to share a few things I should have learned in the early days.

First. Figure out what you want to do. Why are you in this business anyway? Whether you are a road warrior, veteran tech who has sold his soul to a large manufacturer, or teenage church sound volunteer—why? What provoked you to take on an insane career choice like this? 

If the first thing that falls out of your mouth is money, this conversation is over now. Just get up from where you are and go find something else to do. Seriously. Right now. For every guy who has a six-figure income with a studio, touring company, label or theme park, there’s probably a thousand who still qualify for food stamps. The people out there who make that big money usually have one of two scenarios. They got a big break after years of proving themselves, learning their trade, maintaining their good attitude and doing whatever it took to pull off their gig—or—they started off rich and lie about where the money comes from.

Very few people get rich by just working their butt off as a tech. Getting really, really, really good at it won’t do it either. It’s called a business for a reason. Learn business. Learn to negotiate effectively. Learn to make deals. Be a great steward of the business you work with. Take great care of their stuff. Don’t plan to be someone’s second engineer as a career move. If you do this because you love it, then do it. If the gear and shows and people in this world appeal to you. If your heart races when you create something or pull off a flawless event. If anything about this works is pushes your buttons and makes you feel like you just have to be in it. Then give it all you have. Learn the business side if you like to eat and sleep indoors.

Second. Know your industry and the seasons. It took me over eight years to figure this one out. I worked in various parts of the pro audio production world for about 18 years. Ten of those years included traveling as a hired gun sound tech. I made pretty good money doing it. Not crazy good, but impressive to most people. I was doing local work at the same time. When I wasn’t out of town, I had other projects I worked on. About eight years in, I had to deal with the fact that I was constantly broke or behind on the bills. How the heck was that happening? We weren’t extravagant. Lived pretty cheap. My normal check for a long weekend run was enough to pay almost all the bills each month. Day rate looks really impressive until you average it out. Once I realized this, it was revelation. Duh.

My main clients worked with their main clients on rallies, concerts and events that were primarily outdoors. They apparently didn’t like it too hot or too cold for these events. Thus we worked most of those events in the spring and fall. I was regularly on the road 10-15 days each month of those seasons. I also had installation work and small shows year round. The installation work made almost enough to pay all the bills each month, alone.

Do you see where this is going yet? For three months, I had traveling and local work to get paid on. Then the next three months I only had local. Then it started over. Rolling good for three months, broke for three months. Honestly. It took years to figure that pattern out. Because I didn’t know my industry or the seasons. Almost every tech out there struggles during November and December. It’s always harder to get gigs when there are none. Really. Learn to use the seasons to your advantage, learn to watch them.

Third. Learn to save money. It’s not going to flow like a river 365 days a year. It’s not going to mean living off Ramen noodles every week either. But it will usually bounce back and forth. At least until you get well established. Figure out what your normal cost of living is. Save as much as possible.

Don’t spend it if you don’t have to. Play defense with your money. Don’t let the smooth talker with that shiny new toy have it unless you have no choice. Don’t take on debt or credit based on that day rate or how rich you plan to be. Credit cards can dig a hole you never get out of. Drive that car another year. Don’t eat steak dinners every time you get a check. Hold on to your cash as long as you can.

Fourth. Learn to see opportunities. There are plenty of ways to make money during the down time. Don’t sit there, broke, complaining about money. Find something. For me, it was eBay. During a very bad season, I desperately needed money. I had been hoarding gear for years. That mountain of gear made my house payment for almost a year. Sacrifices are unavoidable sometimes.

I also worked part time for a small chain of music stores. They needed help with their pro audio side and I needed some more income. They got a new pro audio division, I got paid. The other thing it did for me, was keeping me alive. You will never get good at anything you don’t do regularly. The installation work was hard some days, but it kept me working and learning. It helped me become better at what I did. Sitting at home watching cartoons does not make you more valuable.

http://bit.ly/139SsbP

I have never known where or when my next check would come for over 30 years...  That is something I am JUST NOW feeling OK about... it took that long... 

This may be tolerable for someone who is 24 and living small with some rent, a car, a girlfriend and a cat....  but believe me, it can be downright scary with a wife, kids, 3 cars, a large home you own, saving money for the future, food for everyone, medical insurance, utilities, ALL your gear purchases and repair /maint., vacations, education, insurance 10 ways and did I say a wife...?  I probably left out 20 things... You think you were nervous when you were 24?

Once your in your 40s and 50s you don't want to "make it through the month" You want to continue to grow financially...  in many ways...  This is where people starting out need to understand, this grows in phases... learning and survival, and actually MAKING a living and growing your life... having funds to do the things you want, and buying ahead towards your future.. That second part is the hard part.... anyone can do enough low budget days to pay for a flop house,Top Raman  and eggs, and a can of food for Kitty...  It's that elusive rolling into a career that will challenge most.. and that is the hardest part... 

If you are not comfortable not knowing where your next check is coming from... stop now and run as far away from this business as possible. It's an art making yourself stay calm from time to time... no matter how long or how good you are... Sometimes your clients are all doing MOS shows, or filming in Argentina...  Who knows... Often you work a lot in one month and not so much for the next two... I try taking off Summer and Winter.. I usually go back for a few good clients though.. sometimes you have to go back... yuck...

As for having another job, I have never felt comfortable with this... the way life works, as soon as you try that your phone rings and you have to say... "sorry, I need to got to my other gig"... 

Ebay...  OK, maybe....  if that works for someone... I personally can't generate the funds necessary that route...

It's a rough business in many ways, the way in which the jobs come in, and when, is only one factor.... I'll say it again, it sounds romantic, but this aint for everyone...

I have been often asked by people... "was it hard to get into... "   and "How come more people don't do it"  I always answer,  " it's hard to stay into"  and  "Most people can't last through the really rough tough times and go elsewhere.."   How did you start?   "I ate Top Ramen and eggs for two years.."  (wish I was kidding)  but, that's what it takes... Only the strong survive..

Stole the words right outta my brain -- 20+ years and just now feeling like I'm actually generating some momentum -- yeah, if stability and predictability are what one is after, then location sound mixing/recording is probably not a good fit -- unless a person can land a spot on season 1 of an 8-season hit series... and even then, there are no guarantees.

We're carneys -- carneys with dental

~tt

Many wise words in this thread. It's feast or famine for me: business is either dead in the water, or horrendously busy. Thankfully, I just hit the latter this month... but I had some cold weeks earlier this summer. 

What baffles me is when a regular client kind of drops off the map and stops calling. You wonder if you screwed something up, or did something wrong... in one case where this happened to me last year, I asked their production manager "wha' happened?", and he said he had just quit because their number of shoots dropped to nil. So it was them, not me. 

Staying in the loop and giving friends and acquaintances referrals helps a lot. I figure it's good for karma, but they also might throw you a bone now and then. I learned a good one from a friend a couple of weeks ago, when I told him I was booked on a feature for 4 weeks: he said, "don't ever tell a client that. Tell them, 'hmmm, let me check... gosh darn, I'm booked on those days." Don't tell them you're unavailable for a solid month. Interesting strategy, at least for those of us in the day-player bidness.

Great thread.

For us it's always check to check and I'm tired of it. I want to get control of this.

One of my problems is gear. I have to stop buying the new shiny toys. So far this year I'm doing really good in that aspect.

Over the last few years it hasn't gotten better. It's very slow though. My company taxes I've been about a year behind in paying them. I always pay my debts. But by the time I do the work is gone, so we go back into debt to survive the slow periods.

I'd love hearing all your thoughts on this. Thanks guys.

...as I always tell my wife, "Hey, it hasn't killed us yet...almost a few times, but not yet."

Anyone that asks me how to get in the business, I always discourage them.  This ain't for sissies unless your wife has a GREAT paying job.

Hey, this business has been very good to me. I've worked hard, met great people, my timing was lucky, and I never wanted a full time gig to begin with. And I wanted to wear shorts & a T shirt to work. That said, it is a hard way to make a good living, and it's not for most. Try standing around a pig farm in the winter in a rain storm for 14 hours... I have enjoyed the ride, but as we used to say, "It ain't all sunglasses and blow jobs". Ya gotta be real to get into the game. Gear won't make you better, that is up to you and your abilities to solve problems as you work with others. (The good, bad, and ugly). Best of luck to all that try, but many won't make it. 

CrewC

Great thread.

For us it's always check to check and I'm tired of it. I want to get control of this.

One of my problems is gear. I have to stop buying the new shiny toys. So far this year I'm doing really good in that aspect.

Over the last few years it hasn't gotten better. It's very slow though. My company taxes I've been about a year behind in paying them. I always pay my debts. But by the time I do the work is gone, so we go back into debt to survive the slow periods.

I'd love hearing all your thoughts on this. Thanks guys.

I think your probably doing all the right stuff, and are no different than all of us here... All you can do is try to stay busy working, save a bunch of money when you do get it, spend wisely, especially on gear...

And a few other things that may help out... They may sound dumb, but they do help...

Don't borrow ever, unless you have to... get rid of any credit cards... It's like buying something twice..LOL  Use one Visa bank card (debit) and an American Express so you can pay it off each month...  there are a lot of benefits to AMEX, I use one for business ONLY, the year end tax prep advantage is great... so is the double warranty of almost anything you buy.. and them standing behind you in case of a funky vendor...It's easier to keep track of month to month too.. That keeps a short leash on your credit spending..

Pay into a savings account as if it were a bill... with some banks you can set it up as a auto payment... you'll never even know your saving money..

When prudent, sell your paid off and well used gear before it drops too much in value.. roll it into new stuff to keep your business going strong.. do as many repairs that you can do yourself..

Eat healthy and eat wisely.... It's not too expensive that way... Shop smart.... LEARN HOW TO COOK.. Cook more eat out less.. Become a BBQ expert.. it helps..

Service your own vehicles whenever possible... own a good vehicle.. one that won't cost you thousands in repairs..

Charge properly for your services... The extra money will go a long way... do the best you can there...

If you own your own home, and it's not new, get a GOOD home warranty...  I have had GREAT results with my company... for @$450 a year, almost everything is covered... one foul up with an A/C unit or heater can easily cost WAY more that the yearly cost of the contract...  then the rest is essentially free.... I am a big fan...

If you really think about it, there are a bunch of little things you can do to help keep afloat....  trust me... these things help and there is so much more... like... stay positive.. keep your head up... smile and remind yourself.. you work in the movie business... That always makes me smile...

I think a lot of people started in this biz by luck--a chance meeting or getting the opportunity to work on something. They liked it, and then discovered how hard it is to STAY in the biz, year after year.

philp

+11

I was on the fence between location sound and gigging in a band (after I decided I wasn't gonna be an architect)... I transitioned into doing more sound work and fewer music gigs as the pay was better... but yeah, it's definitely feast or famine... more of the former for me, but a few hard years recently have forced me to become extra vigilant with the $ I do make. I definitely buy less gear these days, but there's always something I "need"... a family will trump all of that though... I'm wired (like many of us here) to be a provider - which means sometimes taking gigs I'd rather not take, and compromising for the greater good. Yes, a savings account is paramount - if and when you can get to that point, do it... like advised above: treat it like a bill - before going out to eat, before buying new gear, before vacations, etc. It's a MUST for anyone who is self-employed.

Ours is a war of attrition - follow your instincts and hope/pray that fate will smile on you more than it will frown. ; )

~tt

I love it!! Even the down times, who else gets to not work for 3 weeks straight sometimes! Gotta to learn to smile when your rolling in the dough and when your worried about paying morgage. I ve been at it now for 5 years.. Luckly I married someone good with money( that helps, she budgets). But there has been hard times. Plus I my oldest son is special needs (this means expensive therapy). But when I think about doing something else..I can't life might be less stress but man would it be boring. :) keep on chugging! If you build it they will come!

What a great thread! I have been doing this for six years, and actually making a living for the last three. I am curious what kind of work everyone here does, and where you are located.

I am in Chicago, and was doing low budget indies and documentaries. Then I started getting more and more reality work. For better or worse, that is my bread and butter now. I would love to transition into commercials someday, and maybe get my union card so I can work on some real features and shows.

Yeah, the health and pension are great.... now get your 400hrs every 6 months....  If you don't, no health, just dues of around $220.00 a quarter and a nod for watching out that they pay you that "union minimum rate" ... and a 15.00 meal penalty after 6hrs.. There are other things of course they help out with, but for the most part... it's pay, health and pension..

Oh, and if you get 399hrs.... they all go in the trash... (unless you have some in the bank...) you get nothing, and you loose all those great health benefits..

If you are on a good IA show, one that lasts a while, it can make sense.... If not.... you'll have to figure out how it works for you... It can be tough... IA can be helpful, but it's no savior.....

I think it was mentioned here... but this needs to be really clear... The one thing this job does provide is time frames when you are NOT working to actually have a life....  This can't be underestimated....  The ability to actually have time to spend with your family or simply watch the Jetsons is in many ways more valuable than monetary gain... yes, it is worth that much... I know people like we all do who can barely get a day to do anything... I never want to be like that... So, if you do find yourself between jobs... say a big thanks and enjoy your life.... it's a big blessing to have that ability...

My mom always told me..... "You only have two things, your time and your health... Never let anybody or anything get a hold of them..."

I think about that all the time....   Time = Value       Time=Life.....

A wiser friend of mine from 30 years ago, he is long out of the business, gave me a simple formula. For every dollar you make, place 25% into your retirement account, 25% in an account for taxes, and live on the remaining 50%. Simple but is does help to give you a focus.

David

I think your probably doing all the right stuff, and are no different than all of us here... All you can do is try to stay busy working, save a bunch of money when you do get it, spend wisely, especially on gear...

And a few other things that may help out... They may sound dumb, but they do help...

Don't borrow ever, unless you have to... get rid of any credit cards... It's like buying something twice..LOL Use one Visa bank card (debit) and an American Express so you can pay it off each month... there are a lot of benefits to AMEX, I use one for business ONLY, the year end tax prep advantage is great... so is the double warranty of almost anything you buy.. and them standing behind you in case of a funky vendor...It's easier to keep track of month to month too.. That keeps a short leash on your credit spending..

Pay into a savings account as if it were a bill... with some banks you can set it up as a auto payment... you'll never even know your saving money..

When prudent, sell your paid off and well used gear before it drops too much in value.. roll it into new stuff to keep your business going strong.. do as many repairs that you can do yourself..

Eat healthy and eat wisely.... It's not too expensive that way... Shop smart.... LEARN HOW TO COOK.. Cook more eat out less.. Become a BBQ expert.. it helps..

Service your own vehicles whenever possible... own a good vehicle.. one that won't cost you thousands in repairs..

Charge properly for your services... The extra money will go a long way... do the best you can there...

If you own your own home, and it's not new, get a GOOD home warranty... I have had GREAT results with my company... for @$450 a year, almost everything is covered... one foul up with an A/C unit or heater can easily cost WAY more that the yearly cost of the contract... then the rest is essentially free.... I am a big fan...

If you really think about it, there are a bunch of little things you can do to help keep afloat.... trust me... these things help and there is so much more... like... stay positive.. keep your head up... smile and remind yourself.. you work in the movie business... That always makes me smile...

Thanks!

I am married and have one kid. My wife is a great cook. Plus she is kinda one of those crazy end of the world preppers, lol.

We have a garden and chickens in the city. My wife cans like crazy. And we have enough food to go for months.

My wife also owned a baby store for five years. We didn't make a ton of money with that either. But end of last year her partner made an offer to buy her out. So she took it. We used a little more then half and put it to our mortgage. And we refinanced at the same time and took off 2% off the interest. Doing all that we knocked off more then six years worth of payments.

So I think we are doing some things right.

. My wife is a great cook. Plus she is kinda one of those crazy end of the world preppers, lol.

We have a garden and chickens in the city. My wife cans like crazy. And we have enough food to go for months.

"Preppers" as we're now called (since when did even "survivalists" give a shit about brand management???) carry a definite advantage during the lean free-lance months. First year and a half after grad school, I was into my earthquake food on at least four different periods, having a single dollar in my checking.

Treat your prepper wife good, brother Justan, she can definitely keep you in the game (and just you wait til "zombie day", rant, rant, rant, blah, blah,blah...lol).

best