Surviving In The Pro Audio Business

yeah, gardens...

+11

regardless of ones "field" (pun intended)

;)

I put up an 8' deer fence last year, and now we're growing 4 kinds of lettuce, 10 tomato plants, watermelon, cantelope, green beans, radish, carrots, spinach, peppers, onions, garlic, blueberries, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, snap peas...

on top of already having 3 apple trees, 3 plumb trees, and wild raspberries...

I definitely look forward to the time off - and that's where a great deal of it is spent. Yeah, quality of life, and being thankful for time between gigs.. being thankful for that perfect balance -- may we all reach it sooner than later :)

~tt

Great Thread.

I've only been in the business freelance about 4 years now and am finally starting to figure this all out. Quarterly taxes, gear insurance, retirement accounts, college savings accounts, etc... Most importantly I learned to enjoy the free time with my wife and two little girls (4 mos and 2 yrs). It really is the best part about this job.

This winter when I was really slow I decided to redo our kitchen and since I had the time, I did all the work myself. A complete demolish and everything new. I saved myself I'd say at least $15k by not hiring contractors. Took me about 20 days of work over a month and a half and I really enjoyed it. Even though I only had a handful of gigs in the winter, I feel like in a way I "made" $15k by doing the work myself and I don't think I could have done that with many other careers.

I'm still trying to figure out the long term plan, as the wife (currently a school teacher) wants to be a stay at home mom in the next few years. Health insurance is the big question now (which she currently carries). Maybe we'll win the lottery...

+11

I was on the fence between location sound and gigging in a band (after I decided I wasn't gonna be an architect)...

~tt

Holly smokes.. thats funny.. I wanted to be an architect also.  But, I started my first internship as a draftsmen, and it just hit me.  Too much math, and not enough designing and drawing. I hated this!  combine that with the CAD systems coming in strong.. it was a one, two punch, right out of there.  ouch. 6 years of schooling went down the drain.

it was a one, two punch, right out of there.  ouch. 6 years of schooling went down the drain.

I bet your set up sketches and plan sheets look good.  Not to mention folks should be able to read your handwriting. <G>

I let bean counting go the way side, but my expense reports always fly through accounting.

I've even been called by accounting to help them figure out other crew expense reports. 

Holly smokes.. thats funny.. I wanted to be an architect also.  But, I started my first internship as a draftsmen, and it just hit me.  Too much math, and not enough designing and drawing.

Richard, my father was an architect and I spent a few summers during high school working in his drafting department, learning that I had zero ability to draw. But I have much respect for architects and planners, and it gave me some knowledge in graphic design and typography, which eventually served me in post-production. 

All this knowledge helps in little ways sometimes. At least you eventually discovered what you really love to do and put you on the right path.

I'd still love to be an architect in some ways ... especially when I see a design I like -- someone designed that, conceived it in thought and brought it to life. It's inspiring. Every now and then I'll draft plans for a remodel or something... but yeah, that world changed significantly with CAD, and it just didn't have the same appeal to me. I started playing drums (sonic architecture of sorts) got into recording, and the path unfolded from there...

...now I'm a carney! ;)

~tt

6 years of schooling went down the drain.

i would never consider an education a waste. Whatever your path, it got you to where you are now. A different path might have resulted in a different result. One of my favourite boom-ops is a trained chef. Apart from the great dinners he can whip up, he is also used to some of the worst work atmospheres there are. Very hierachical, with the head-chefs treating everyone like garbage. After that, working even with the worst directors/DOPs is a joke to him