Logic Pro X

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, realtime stretching. In DP you could just grab the wave at the right spot and stretch it to your desired length. I found that feature an absolute must when I was working in Japanese to English Anime dubbing. Some actors would get the timing perfect every time but there were plenty of times I'd have to quickly stretch their words to fit picture. I think I remember Cubase/Nuendo did it that way too but my exposure to those progz was limited.

Logic has had the TimeMachine since V4, I think. With it you could stretch sound independent of pitch or with pitch-shifting as well.
And as I'm typing this, I realise you probably meant realtime stretching?

Content took forever to download too (35GB), but works well off an external Thunderbolt SSD array with my other sample libraries.

Hey Petros, two questions if you don't mind:

1 is the content included in the 199$ price or did you buy that extra? App Store says 650 MB...

2 Have you tried opening older projects? Apple says it works, but how is it in practice? All plugins are not working I suppose, as long as the're 32 bit? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5794

Yeah, realtime stretching. In DP you could just grab the wave at the right spot and stretch it to your desired length. I found that feature an absolute must when I was working in Japanese to English Anime dubbing. Some actors would get the timing perfect every time but there were plenty of times I'd have to quickly stretch their words to fit picture. I think I remember Cubase/Nuendo did it that way too but my exposure to those progz was limited.

when I press Alt and pull on the right lower corner of an audio region in the arrange window it gets stretched immediatley. That would be realtime stretching I suppose. I recently found that feature after years of not using it and I like it a lot (in LP8!)

Version 8, 9 and X

Are you sure? I own version 8.0.2.  I checked again right now. Where is the audio files metadata TC ? In my Logic there is nothing in the manual about it, nothing in the audio's menu arrange window.

Are you sure? I own version 8.0.2. I checked again right now. Where is the audio files metadata TC ? In my Logic there is nothing in the manual about it, nothing in the audio's menu arrange window.

Yes, there is, but it's only used for placing a region. You have to select an audio region in the arrange window and then open the audio menu. There's an item called "move region to original recording position" (I am not sure of the exact English wording, as I only have the german version). A pop-up will show you the original TC and ask you to confirm the move. You may have to extend the project. It's nowhere near what ProTools can do, but it is there.

Hey Petros, two questions if you don't mind:

1 is the content included in the 199$ price or did you buy that extra? App Store says 650 MB...

2 Have you tried opening older projects? Apple says it works, but how is it in practice? All plugins are not working I suppose, as long as the're 32 bit? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5794

The content is included in the price. There's a menu item in the Logic menu that allows you to download additional content and (thankfully) be selective about it. All the previous Logic content is there as well.

As for older projects - you know I haven't tried it, but I have a few projects with me here so I'll do so and report back (later tonight!)

It is indeed 64-bit plugins only, but Apple did give the plugin devs some huge lead time with that change - everything I use except from one terrible plugin developer was long ago upgraded to 64-bit and I was running LP9 in 64-bit mode exclusively for almost two years. Thankfully most of the devs I do trust also included 64-bit AAX native versions in recent updates so my plugins are at parity across both LP and PT.

Having said that, I found the 32-bit bridge clunky and crash-inducing anyway - but that's just me!

Logic 9 introduced "Flex Time" in it's own feature set (works as you describe for DP) at launch in the summer of 2009. However, I often found the algorithms to be a bit lacking - especially when compared to iZotope's Radius. How is the one/are the ones in DP?

So I did some tests with random (older) projects at the office and they all loaded fine.

LPX is noticeably faster at starting up and it seems that everything just, well, worked! I tried three random projects. One of which was music-to-picture.

There's a dedicated AAF import option now - whether or not the functionality is improved remains to be seen!

One nice thing is that LPX retains the windowing setups of previous projects very well, meaning you'll be right where you left off more or less. Not exactly earth shattering, but, well, thoughtful at least.

post-1384-0-17780800-1375125985_thumb.pn

Thanks Petros! Will get this as soon as I update my OS X, as Lion is not supported. I'm curious whether they made any improvements to the OMF/AAF export functionality, as that never really worked well for me (fades, levels...).

Is very easy hack the LPX for work with Lion, http://youtu.be/Kf6KXVH-OO4

As I'm still stuck on DP5 and they're up to 8 or 9 I'm not the best person to ask. For short stretches it sounds great but if you go very far you get all kinds of artifacts.

After I move to my new place I'm going to move to Logic X and see how it fares. I'm in pretty desperate need to get something more compatible with current standards and practices even though I'm not doing a whole lot of post.

Logic 9 introduced "Flex Time" in it's own feature set (works as you describe for DP) at launch in the summer of 2009. However, I often found the algorithms to be a bit lacking - especially when compared to iZotope's Radius. How is the one/are the ones in DP?

As I'm still stuck on DP5 and they're up to 8 or 9 I'm not the best person to ask. For short stretches it sounds great but if you go very far you get all kinds of artifacts.

After I move to my new place I'm going to move to Logic X and see how it fares. I'm in pretty desperate need to get something more compatible with current standards and practices even though I'm not doing a whole lot of post.

If you are wanting compatible with current standards, get Pro-Tools.