M152

Arnold F.

I have a one-day rooftop shoot for a kind of reality/interview show soon and I've had all kinds of wind-protection issues with my B6 and COS-11 that, for the moment, aren't solved.  I was thinking of trying the Lectro M152's, which come with a nice, big wind screen.  I have heard it said that they aren't terrific but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try them in this case for two reasons: better wind protection than I'm getting at the moment from my other mics AND sound is being recorded to DVX's.  Is the sound of the M152 so poor?

A.

...Is the sound of the M152 so poor?

I've used the M150 on some occasions and they're not bad -- just not as natural sounding as a COS-11, for instance.

However, from the way I read your post, that's not your real issue.  Your issue is wind protection and a foam teardrop is not very effective.  A Rycote Overcover, properly positioned, can work wonders, as can a Microcat.

JB

I bought some Overcovers but have found they don't stick very well, sometimes lasting only minutes before just falling off.

A.

I've used the M150 on some occasions and they're not bad -- just not as natural sounding as a COS-11, for instance.

However, from the way I read your post, that's not your real issue.  Your issue is wind protection and a foam teardrop is not very effective.  A Rycote Overcover, properly positioned, can work wonders, as can a Microcat.

JB

I bought some Overcovers but have found they don't stick very well, sometimes lasting only minutes before just falling off.

IMO, that's a design flaw of the Rycote Stickies which is an unfortunate result of the company's choice to specify a sticky that can only be used once, so you'll need to buy more.  If you apply a Sticky, and then need to reposition it, you must use a new one each time.  A hassle, an annoyance, slows you down -- and bad thinking on Rycote's part.

There are two very good alternatives that I use.  One, is the old standby "Top Stick" pre-trimmed to fit the Overcovers.  The other alternative is the 3/4" sticky dots that you can get from Filmtools.  Both hold much better than the Rycote Stickies. 

As far as how "obvious" the Overcovers are, it depends upon how well you match the color to the clothing or how nicely you can tuck them under a flap of a jacket, or the edge of a shirt, etc.

JB