Canon XF 305 timecode

• 3 months later...

Been working with this camera on a doc. Been trying 23.98 fps TC jam from Nomad to XF305 but with no luck. Saw this post, and 29.97 works....thanks. But the camera is actually shooting at 23.976fps (24P it calls it). What does using a timecode of 29.97 with a framerate of 23.976 mean? I'm not a post person, but will that still work? 

It also doesn't keep jam if it turns off and some other situations. Production might need to invest in a lock-it box or maybe I could try a sennheiser set. (included this just to let other audio people who find this thread know)

Edited by srab1138

I'm not an expert on it, but 23.976fps is the rate for 24fps NTSC video .

No I mean using a timecode of 29.97 with a frame rate of 23.976fps. I corrected my post above. 

I have read the manual, but it doesn't mention anything about this 24P/29.97 TC thing. 

Though I did find this article that mentions this. (at the bottom). 

Actually I double-checked. The manual does mention that the output is at 29.97/30 regardless but it does indicate that the internal timecode should be matching the framerate mode of 24P when it is set at as that....yet it's not working that way. 

Edited by srab1138

" using a timecode of 29.97 with a frame rate of 23.976fps. "

yes, SMPTE/EBU TC is a tough technical topic, and the folks who know it are earning their rates...

as has been said before: 23.976 (aka 23.98) and 29.97 are compatible, non-integer rates, and 24 and 30 are compatible integer rates.

they are clocking at the same rate, and will match on the 00 frame of each second.

so now the question is, do your movie-makers, and their post folks, understand what they are doing ?

workflow test!

Edited by studiomprd

• 2 weeks later...

" using a timecode of 29.97 with a frame rate of 23.976fps. "

yes, SMPTE/EBU TC is a tough technical topic, and the folks who know it are earning their rates...

as has been said before: 23.976 (aka 23.98) and 29.97 are compatible, non-integer rates, and 24 and 30 are compatible integer rates.

they are clocking at the same rate, and will match on the 00 frame of each second.

so now the question is, do your movie-makers, and their post folks, understand what they are doing ?

workflow test!

23.976 and 29.97 are compatible frame rates in that they count at the same speed and therefore share the same 0 point. Theoretically, you can shoot at one and record sound at the other and everything will still sync. Workflow tests are always a good idea.

Mark O.

Thank you! I did not know they were compatible, although I suspected they might be. It's not something I'd think to look for. You'd think it'd be as simple as using the same number with the same number: 23.976 with 23.976.

• 11 months later...