Schoeps CMIT

Morantzsound

About a year ago, I abandoned my Senn MKH-60's and starting using the Schoeps CMIT-5 as my short shotgun to go along with my MK-41's.  They match very well and like a lot of people, I did discover that you don't want to use them too close as I don't think they sound that good if you are under 18 inches, but otherwise they are great.  I always keep the low-cut filter on and if I am using them outdoors I put the +5 on as well.  Outdoors though I am not completely sold.  Last week we were doing some loud effects work and decided to pull out and dust off the 60 for the shot and was amazed at how much brighter (could be a good and bad thing) it was and I am considering going back to the 60 outdoors and using the Schoeps mics indoors.  Was wondering what other people think about the CMIT outdoors.

Thanks,

Steve Morantz

• 1 month later...

I used my brothers CMIT yesterday for the first time and was quite impressed with how good it sounded at the 3 to 4 foot range we were working at. Warm n round n very schoeps.  The set was built on a cycke (sp) and was very alive, but the mic didn't exagerate that at all. I may have to have one. Also it is smaller n lighter than the picture makes it look. Still ugly blue, but the wind sock covers most of that up.

CrewC

Well I have been using the CMIT5U for about 18 months and generally speaking it is excellent in many situations,but I have had problems with it when I flew back from mid summer in San Francisco to NZ in mid winter.It must have picked up some moisture in transit because when I turned it on back home all I got was a slight hiss and no audio at all.I took it out of its shockmount and windjammer and did a slow low heat dry out.It is ok most of the time but if the windjammer gets wet then you need to get that dry.Don't let it sit in the damp as the capsule will be susceptible to the moisture.On one occasion since I have turned on the mic to have no signal but a quick emergence into fresh air and bit of air movement and it restores to normal.I check it every time now before I go out for piece of mind.

It is not as easy for fast dialog on a boom as the MK 41 as it is more directional and you can't fade the next person in as you would on the 41.It does have more reach than the 41 and the 5db boost at 10k is a big help in the windjammer.The bass cut selection is interesting and is best judged purely by your ears rather than the specifications.

I don't have the specific Cinela shockmount but have tried it and it works beautifully.

As for matching with other mics,the MK 41 and the CMIT match perfectly without the 10k boost.It also matches very well with my favourite lav the DPA 4071.I don't use the Sennheiser mics anymore so I can't tell you of their capabilities.

Best Regards,

Brian